Did your kids have school today?

Mine didn't, but I know some nearby districts did have school today. I assume it's because they have little or no black students, but should that really matter? I thought today's holiday was to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, his accomplishments, and the impact he made on this country. Shouldn't all children learn about and appreciate who this man was? I was just wondering how many schools did actually have to go today. If your children did go, did the school still teach about Dr. Martin Luther King? Just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• The weather is not why the other schools did have school. They never get this day off. I know teachers at those schools and it was never planned for them to have the day off. I am making the assumption it's because they have no black employees and usually no black students. I was curious to see if other predominantly white schools had school also. It just seems to me when schools with all/most white students and teachers don't observe the holiday it send the message that this is a black only holiday, which I don't agree with.
    Anonymous

• The only schools who had school had them to make up for cold weather. I am sure thats why the ones around you did too, or for days they missed otherwise. My kids didnt have school and they dont tomorrow either. What a scam.
    Anonymous

• No my kids weren't in :)
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My kids are home today. Maybe the schools that had to attend might possibly had to use today as a bad weather make-up day like the town next to me had to.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Nope... They used a teacher day.. Way to disc. it hu???? LOL
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We homeschool so yes.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Mine where out. We had a four day weekend. Due to weather and MLK. I wish they had school though. They could be learning more about MLK if they did. Then sitting at home. But small towns around us had school. So did some private schools.
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my son did but he goes to a private school. they dont get many days off that are randome like this one. its good for him to be in school anyway.
    Anonymous

• when i was in school we alternated every year, one year we would MLK day off the next year we got pres. day off.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My children's schools does recognize Martin Luther king, I think it is wonderful to learn about the good he did not only for blacks but for all people.  My kids do have today off from school which is fine to me.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 5:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009