What's the best type of birth control for teenagers? adult content

My 16 yr old daughter has informed me that she and her boyfriend are sexually active. I have an appointment for her with the gyn and we have been doing some research on line about what is the best type of birth control. From what we've seen we are leaning towards the nuva ring. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think there is a best or worst- but what works best for each person. My daughter got the pill but decided to switch to Nuvaring. She likes that better- and avoids the issue of forgetting a pill
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• I started the pill at 15. Of course, a lot of other options weren't available then.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• It's really a personal choice so I'm not sure if we'd be a lot of help. Her doctor knows her health history so it would have to be something that is researched from that perspective.

Just make sure that she continues to use condoms, no matter what she chooses.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 1:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• hmmm I am sorry I don't have an aswer for you my kids wont be sexually active for some time lol. But I am hoping that when that time comes that my girls will come too me like yours did you I want them to be able to talk to me about things like that. And when that time comes I will put mine on birth control too. I have 3 girls so yaaaa better safe than sorry lol. I am on the pill and that is all that I have ever taken.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• I just went through this with my 16 year old daughter and the gyn suggested either paraguard or the nuva ring. She chose the nuva ring and she hasn't had any problems with it at all. Like Charlotsmomtimes said, the pill scares me because they can forget to take that. But also remind your daughter that just because she's on the ring, she still needs to use a condom every time.
    TeachMom41

Answer by TeachMom41 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• I have nuva ring and it's awesome. Very few side effects and effective so far. Definitely try to get her to go with abstinence, but sounds like she's already made up her mind. Just be sure to tell her nothing is 100% and tell her to use condoms as well because bc does not protect against std's.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• Also remind her that if the nuva ring isn't positioned just right it can fail. I have a friend who got pregnant b/c of that. I was put on the pill at 13 and not b/c I was sexually active there were many health reasons for that decision. Good luck and I am happy to see that you have a good relationship with your DD.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• I used NuvaRing - there's no "positioning" to it, either it's in or it isn't. Maybe coala is thinking of a diaphragm?
    Bit to answer the questions, I would go with condoms. They are the most effective when used right, and the only bc that protects against STDs. If you put a teen on a hormonal birth control, the chances they will use condoms goes way down, they think they are invincible and don't worry about STDs. That's not from a study, that's from talking to some teens (not my own, some I used to work with)

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• I was able to take the pill EVERYDAY when I was unwed but sexually active. I was some darn afraid of getting pregnant, I would get out of bed before falling asleep if I happen to miss taking it while getting ready for bed. The pill worked great for me!
    cupcake2819

Answer by cupcake2819 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2012

• Whatever she chooses, she should also use condoms; nothing is 100 effective

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2012