how can i get my daughter to sleep through the night?

She's 18 months, done teething for now but still gets up once a night calling for mama

2Kiddies4Me

Asked by 2Kiddies4Me at 3:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds terrible, but I let mine cry it out. After I knew that there was nothing wrong, they weren't hungry etc..I just let them cry.
    People will bash me for this, I am sure, but that is what I did and it worked with both of mine so far. I am not saying it was easy, it was terrible and most of the time I wanted to run in and hold them, but I knew that it was for their best interest, they had to learn to sleep at night.
    Best of luck to you.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Actually, the letting them cry method can and does work for some. It worked with my first, not my second. And it is horrible for the first week or so, but as long as they're safe and all their needs met, I say try this first. With my second, this didn't work. For two weeks straight, she'd cry herself back to sleep four and five times a night. We tried just sitting next to her crib and holding her hand/rubbing her back as the Dr suggested and that didn't work either. She was a restless sleeper and would wake herself up banging her head/legs and feet on the side of the crib. She finally started sleeping through the night the first night after we bought her a big bed with rails.
    BamzaMom

Answer by BamzaMom at 6:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I had the same prob w/ my daughter. I ended up putting a picture of me and my hubby on the wall next to the crib and made sure she knew it was there. After about a week I think she got the idea she wasn't alone. Good luck!!!
    maksmom777

Answer by maksmom777 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I did something similar with my older one but it worked for him. We stayed in the room without eye contact but he knew we were there and each night we moved further from his crib- he's a great sleeper now! The problem, which I should have said in the first question is that, when I let her cry it out-she vomits!! Then I can't leave her and I must get her cleaned and strip the bed etc. I'm so desperate for sleep for my husband and I...
    2Kiddies4Me

Answer by 2Kiddies4Me at 11:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2009