Is it normal for an OBGYN to have u check your blood sugar 7 times a day because of gestational diabetes?? Doesnt that seem like a bit much?? I went through 110 testin strips and lancets in 2 weeks!!

Asked by Rohrig at 4:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• At the hospital I work at we check all the diabetics blood sugars 4 times a day. So it may very well be that many if your blood sugar is not that good. Some people have to have theirs checked every 4 hours around the clock, depending on how bad the diabetes is. As far as gestational diabetes, or checking it depending on YOUR blood sugar.. I'm not sure.

Answer by jamie8506 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I totally agree with the lady above me.

Answer by mom_interrupted at 6:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• When I was going through my pregnancies, I had to check 7 times a day too...before each meal and 2 hours after, then again at bedtime. This was so that I could regulate my diet and insulin to keep my blood sugars at an optimum level. Keeping your blood sugar under control is SO important for both your health and your baby's.
    Do you have insurance to help pay for the test strips?

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i had g.d. while preg.and i had to check when i woke up, and two hrs after i ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner, then right b4 5 times.......f.y.i.if u have trouble keeping ur protein level normal(the test strips u have to use in the mornings)...try drinking some milk in the middle of the night

Answer by from-nj-to-az at 3:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• The normal for checking BG's is 4 times a day. However, being pregnant changes the rules.
    Checking before each meal, then 2 hrs. after; then @ bedtime & then @ 3 am. So let's see....
    That adds up to 8 in a 24 hr period. Sounds pretty normal to me. When I was pg, I felt like a pin cushion. But I didn't mind, it was the least of my worries.

I've been type I since age 3. So I've had a while to get use to it. I was 41 when I gave birth!!!!

Best wishes, & hang in there!

Answer by duets at 9:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2008