How can I get my 3 year old daughter to stop pooping in her underwear?

I started training her in May of last year, then we had to stop training her because she got constipated and had a terrifying experience. She pooped 3 times in the potty before this experience, and when I started training her in July, she got the peeing down, but poops in her underwear. She knows what she is doing, but refuses to even try to go in the toilet. What can I do???

Kpuss

Asked by Kpuss at 4:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make it a fun game for her? You could try a reward system, when my eldest was potty training I set alot of stock in reward charts, maybe a sticker everytime she poops in the potty, and taking away one everytime she poops in her underwear, if she's aware of it then maybe she just needs some incentive.

Or you could just sit her on the potty for a while and encourage her to go there and then, obviously she may not always be ready or able but if she goes once it will encourage her to go more times as she'll see it's not so scary.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Thanks for answering so quickly, but I have tried the good poopy chart w/stickers and plenty of incentives. I have also just sat her on the toilet for a while, and she just doesn't want to do anything.
    Kpuss

Answer by Kpuss at 4:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I had a similar experience. I found that encouragement and lots of patience was the key. Also, I had to explain to my grandson why it was not okay to potty in his pants. That helped a lot.
    TreRose

Answer by TreRose at 4:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my current 4 year old got potty trained by my mom when he was 1 amazing huh? and he learned in two days!!! it seemed incredible to me but it was pretty easy.
    1) make her wear undies when you're home and ask her if she needs to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes.
    2)if she pees or poops in her undies don't make her seem as she did something wrong instead make it look like an accident and encourage her so it won't happen again.

some kids get really grossed out by poop for example my boy pooped while he was being trained and a ball of poop dropped from his pants into his shoes and he was really disgusted by it. ever since he went to the toilet!!!
    give it a try it may take some time but im sure she'll get the hang of it just don't intimidate her and make her feel like a girl and you know what they say... big girls go to the potty!
    nat_mom_of2

Answer by nat_mom_of2 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2009