how high of a temp is too high?

4 month old DD has had a fever of 101.5 all day (brief periods off 99.9 after tylenol).. how high of a temp is too high? called pedi they said tylenol away every 4 hours..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's a low grade fever. Call the doctor if it hits 103. Otherwise, tylenol or motrin. (Motrin works better)
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• id be in my car going to the hospital if it was over 103
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my sons dr. always says dont bring him in until we hit 103. just remember that fever is the bodys way of killing an infection, you dont really want it to completely go away until whatever causing it is gone.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My kids had them up to about 102 and I didn't worry too much if the fever reducer worked right away. However my 2 year old had one of 104.2 the other day, that was way too high. I don't like them going over 102.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• 102 call the doctor. 103 drive to the hospital. If it is a low grade fever and your child isn't uncomfortable...let the temperature run. It is your body's defense mechanism against harmful viruses. If your child is uncomfortable, give tylenol every 4-6 hours for babies under 6 mo. Once babies are over 6 mo. it is safer to give Motrin every 6-8 hours. (If they are very uncomfortable, you can also alternate between Tylenol and Motrin...overlapping effective periods slightly)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Actually from my reserch 101 and under is considered a low grade fever. So he does have a high fever. But there are óther things to consider e.g the disposition of the child is he/she still happy and playful or lathargic and sleepy. My daughter has had a high fever once but was still playfull and happy and eating. I never gave her any meds i just gave her a bath (just a bit cooler than her usual) and I added some rosemary or camomile oil droplets to cool her down or some baking soda. also I use some of the zinc oxcide cream on her back and belly thins also has a coolin effect.
    Fancyavi

Answer by Fancyavi at 6:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009