Anyone have any good recipes using bulk sausage (besides a breakfast casserole)?

Asked by PSMother at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I have spiced it up and used it as a wonton filling or you could mix it with ground beef (50/50) inmeatloaf or meatballs. i have also used it in meat sauce too. very tasty. The internet is a great resouce for this kind of stuff.

Good Luck

Answer by DD37 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have used Sausage in a crock pot with saurkraut and spice as you wish. Turned out very tasty. Plus you can store in servinc size containers and freeze.

Answer by TLJC68 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I've added it to a meat loaf before. That was the best meat loaf I've ever made or eaten. Yum!

Answer by MarieT03 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• meatloaf or meatballs, of course
    hand pies filled with sausage and napa cabbage
    dim sum

Answer by jespeach at 6:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• fry it, mix it with a cup of Minute rice, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 can of milk & 1/2 can of water (a little more if it looks dry), some frozen mixed veggies and shredded cheddar cheese, then more cheese on top...bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until everything is warmed through and rice is soft.

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Little or Big Sandwiches(a caterer I know gave me this)

1# sausage
    1#ground beef
    1 pkt of dry spaghetti mix
    1 block of Velveeta
    Brown the sausage and beef together, drain a little, but not entirely. Add pkt of spag mix-stir until blended. Add cheese until melted. I add a little milk because it gets thick-you want it to be thick enough to spoon onto bread-but you can add milk to thin it some. I use hamburger buns, some use french bread-anything you like.

Answer by hw1977 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Here is a recipe that is healthy and although it sounds weird, is really really good. =3 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)

6 ounces turkey Italian sausage (about 2 links)
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 cup thinly sliced red onion
    6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled Granny Smith apple
    2/3 cup apple juice
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1 bay leaf

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage and onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble. Add cabbage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occa

Answer by rockerchik at 7:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We have a restaurant here that specializes in a dish they call Houston Delight.... It's fried potatoes with onions and sausage. It's great and hearty when you add shredded cheese, sour cream and chives on top. Really good and sticks to the rib. Also make great burritos.

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Thanks! These all sound yummy. I ended up having to throw the bulk sausage away b/c when it thawed it smelled awful. :0(

BUT, I am always wondering what to do with it when I get it, so I will definitly try these recipes.

Answer by PSMother at 8:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I use bulk italian with ground beef in Shepards pie, or just loose with spaghetti

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009