Teen sex

What will you say to your child in hopes that they refrain from sex or unprotected sex as teens and young adults? What did your parents say? Did it work? Do you think what you say will have an impact?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have asked that mine wait, that they make sure that the person they are sleeping with is someone they would have no problem having in thier lives for a very long time. I explained that there is the possibilty of pregnancy, STD's etc,...and that these could be for life.

We are a very open and honest house, my kids have known about birth control since they were 8-9, starting with the pill and as the years wore on we discussed all of them. They can come to me at any time with any question and I will answer it....let me say, some have been really out there, what they hear from friends is amazing, not to mention some misinformation given by the school's abstenince only programs. Don't rely on those alone.

Make your values known, that is the best thing you can do.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My mother didn't say anything to me really and I had sex at 15 which sometimes I wish I hadn't have but I think I would have whatever she'd have said which doesn't really make me feel better about my children.. I try to be as open with my children about it as possible and just hope that they will feel comfortable enough to talk to me about anything that they need to when they get to the age where they feel as if they might have sex and then I can deal with it.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my mom told me to keep my pants on and his in his pants :) LOL she had many serious talks that brought God into it.. my dad gave me a purity ring when i was 15. but no none of it worked. I was my own person who had to make my own decisions
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My parents told me not to do it and that if I ended up pregnant, I'd be kicked out of the house. If I was old enough to have sex and get pregnant, I was old enough to live on my own.

What am I going to tell mine..don't know yet. (oldest is 4) I do know I can point out at flaws in at least two methods of birth control! (my two youngest boys)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would rather have my child wait until marriage before they decided to have sex. However when my daughter came to me at 15 I did not call her names, I have always communicated with her and was thankful she came to me. I took her to the Doctor and got her on birth control. She also got a little talk from her doctor.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 5:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I DON'T THINK THERE IS MUCH YOU CAN SAY OR DO TO PREVENT TEEN SEX. IF THEY WANT IT TO HAPPEN, IT WILL NO MATTER HOW MANY PRECAUTIONS ONE TAKES AS A PARENT. THE OLD SAYING WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY! WHAT I ALWAYS TOLD MY DAUGHTERS WAS THAT IF THEY WERE THINKING ABOUT IT TO MAKE SURE TO DO IT FOR LOVE NOT FOR PEER PRESSURE, TO MAKE IT MEANINGFUL INSTEAD OF TRASHY. TO MAKE IT A SWEET MEMORABLE MOMENT TO LAST YOU A LIFETIME, SOMETHING NICE TO SHAPE THE REST OF YOUR SEXUAL LIFE.

ONE THING I NEVER WANTED TO DO WAS TELL THEM IT WAS BAD AND THEY SHOULDN'T DO IT. I REMEMBER BEING 16 OR 17 BEING IN LOVE AND FEELING DIRTY FOR WANTING IT BECAUSE MY MOTHER SCARED ME INTO THINKING SEX WAS FOR BAD GIRLS AND I SHOULD HAVE NO PART IN IT. ANOTHER THING I ALWAYS TOLD THEM WAS THAT I UNDERSTOOD THEIR DESIRES, THAT IT WAS NORMAL TO HAVE THESE FEELINGS AND THAT INTIMACY WOULD CHANGE THEIR RELATIONSHIP NOT ALWAYS TO THEIR BENEFIT.

Answer by older at 5:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i will teach mine the dangers of unprotected sex, of STD's and unwanted pregnancies. i would teach them to wait untill marriage for sex.
    then reality would sink in and i would teach them how to protect themselves. i'm pretty hopefull that a parent (oppsite sex for maximun embarassment) showing them how to put on a condom on a banana or cucumber would horrify them for at least a year of no sex!
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009