Question for Christians

What do you do when you feel like your marriage is going in the crapper? (only on your side though, the husb thinks everything is just fine) I ask in this group because I know faith plays a big part in marriage...I almost feel like I don't want it to work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL! I understand, I am going through this right now. I just keep telling myself that I made a committment to him and to God. I also continue to pray for his short comings that make me feel the way I do about the marriage. Read the Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. Good book for this situaion.
    Anonymous

• PRAY! I feel the same way if I allow resentment to take root. You should really try explaining your feelings to your husband. I second the book recommendation, btw.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We've had a bit of a rocky time off and on the past year. First and foremost I pray for help. I also try to be very open to advice and counsel from our church leaders. The most recent advice I heard was when you feel like you might possibly be falling out of love with someone, find SOMETHING to love about them. The person in the story I read was given this advice and tried to explain...."No, I'm not in love with my spouse anymore!" The church leader said love something about them and concentrate on that. Also recently I actually turned to the cafemom group that my religion has and the ladies gave me some great advice. I actually realized I was very much in the wrong about some things. I just needed someone else to point it out to me. I'm really working hard now on fixing me and then worrying about the things my hubby needs to work on.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I agree with a lot of what has been said. Pray....& I 3rd the book recommendation and also recommend Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs.....it's very insightful. It is for individuals and/or couples there is also a workbook if the two of you want to do it together, that is, if you decide to tell him what your feeling. Another book....The Five Love Languages, may help you find out what your relationship is lacking (for you) and it will show him how to give it to you.
    Anonymous

• Marriage is a committment so yes do try to work things out. Lift him up in prayer to the Lord. I like to put my hand on hubbys head when he's falling asleep and pray. I think he knows :) Try doing date nights , a marriage conference or marriage retreat. We have some coming up at our church.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 7:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Pick your fights wisely sister and start journaling. See also if your church has GAP fellowships (homes were people meet to pray and do bible studies).
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 7:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Marriage IS a commitment. I think anyone regardless of faith could tell you that it takes a lot of work and that you should try and not give up. Something brought you two together, reconnect and find it again.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009