have any moms had to have their 16 month old get a frenulectomy done?

tongue-tied surgery, did it correct the problem?

chubbygirlsmom

Asked by chubbygirlsmom at 4:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Health

• My daughter had a Excision Labial Frenulectomy done when she was 10 months old. The piece of skin holding upper lip and top gum together came down below her teeth line, so they lasered it. I know it's not the same thing, but...

A friend of mine's grandson had the tongue-tied thing and getting it "snipped" helped him. This was just done at the dentist office by the dentist after a quick numbing. My DD's was an actual outpatient surgery where she was put under.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My cousins daughter had the tongue tied surgery when she was small. It worked out really well.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my son and daughter both had it done on their two week check up. it corrected the problem. i had to have it done when i was 16 and it was horrible so i elected to have it done when they were infants. then i wouldn't have to worry about it effecting their speech like mine was. the dr. didn't numb it or anything. he said it would be more painful to have it numbed than to just snip it. neither one even bled.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 6:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i just wanted to say, that because i had it done so late in life they had to put me to sleep and it was a couple day recovery because that piece of skin had grown more hard and tough. when they are babies its so soft it really didn't even effect the rest of their day.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 6:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I worked in an ENT clinic where we did frenulectomies on babies. I would recommend getting it done, as not getting it done can cause speech delays in your child. The procedure is very simple and quick and most of the time doesn't even require stitches.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My son had it done at 4 years old with no complications.
    latour96

Answer by latour96 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009