• In the Spotlight:

How do I fix meal time?

I swear to all that is holy I am about ready to strangle my 21 month old son. He won't eat. no matter what I do the child eats like maybe two things a day and thats it and they;re small portions, every meal time is a constant battle to get him to take just one bite. He can help us make the food pick out his own food tell us what he wants but when it comes to actually eating he simply refuses. He won't eat any type of meat no veggies, no fruits except bananas he likes crackers but i won't give it to him because then he absolutely refuses everything for 2 days. He won't even try the food Nothing works. HOw do I fix meal time ?

axandra85

Asked by axandra85 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he's hungry hell eat. cook what you normally would, he wont starve.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Is he gaining weight and growing properly? I would bring him to the ped for a work up- make sure it is his personality that is refusing food not another stomache issue that is making him not want to eat. Do you have him on a daily vitamin? Some kids are just picky- try not to get frustrated- after you see your ped and rule out any problem- try not to make meal time stressful. He may be just loving the negative attention you are giving him at meal time- try not giving him any attention not a single word unless he's eating- then he can have praise from mommy : ) good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think at this age, it's about what he can control. The more you try to make him eat (and he knows you can't force it down his throat) the more he'll fight eating. I'd offer him smaller portions of whatever you're eating and if he doesn't eat it, that's okay. Make him sit at the table until you are through, then put the food in the fridge. When he says he's hungry, heat the food back up and offer it again. If he doesn't want it, he doesn't get anything to eat. Now, keep in mind that at this age, they also have "favorite" foods and will go weeks wanting nothing but that food. Use that to your advantage. You can have two crackers, but you have to eat either the hotdog or the fruit first. Let him decide what he wants to eat.
    BamzaMom

Answer by BamzaMom at 6:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have 26 mos old twins and have had my share of picky eating (one more so than the other). I simply serve what I'm serving and if they eat it, great, if not, that's ok too. I try to include at least one thing I know they'll eat with the meal but sometimes even that doesn't work. If I don't make a big deal out of it they eventually eat.

I also find it helpful to skip snack some days. That is, if they don't ask for it, I don't offer it and then they're usually hungry at meal time. I also limit liquids. One of my picky men would drink milk or juice all day if I let him. I usually give them their food first so they can get a few bites in and then I give them their drink. I also limit their milk. They can have 8oz at each meal and then after that I just give them small amounts of water or watered down juice.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have the same problem with my boy. I can't get him to eat for weeks. I went the the dr about this and she had me put him on pediasure (3 a day). To get him to even drink the stuff I had to stop giving him any other liquid for awhile. During meal time we both sit at the table and he has his food and I have mine and if he doesn't eat then I don't fight him on it. He will eat when he is hungry.
    tensign

Answer by tensign at 7:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2009