Have you ever made homemade chicken pot pie (or shepherds pie?)

If so, do you have any words of advise for me?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Mmmmm, that sounds so good - I wish I had time to make that tonight. I always put foil around the edges to keep it from burning. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I make shepherds pie all the time. Some advice is play around with the recipe, and dont be afraid to try new things in it. I have tried all sorts of variations and really none have been bad.

Answer by gemgem at 5:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I make both. Well sort of homemade lol. For the chicken pot pie I boil the chicken in chicken broth with seasonings til it is done. Then I cut it into about 1/2" chunks and mix it with 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper, 1/2 can of green peas, 1 can corn, then top it with crescent roll dough and bake it til the crescent dough is golden brown. For the Shepherd's pie, I brown ground turkey with McCormicks hamburger seasoning and some Tony Cachere's creole seasoning, boil the potatoes til they are done. Into the meat mixture, add canned vegetables of your choice. We prefer cron and peas. Also add in one jar of turkey or chicken gravy and mix. Pour into a deep dish pie plate and top with the mashed potatoes (at least 1" thick) and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Bake til the potatoes are lightly browned. Yummy I may do that tonight :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I used Lipton's onion soup mix, Worchshire sauce, mixed veggies and cream of mushroom soup in the ground beef for my Sheppard's pie the other night. It was so good DH and I hurt ourselves because we couldn't stop eating it...LOL!
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 5:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Pot pie is almost too easy. A little roux, some chicken stock, cut up leftover chicken & veggies. I use my mom's recipe, which calls for making a roux, adding chicken stock, and the longer-cooking veggies like potatoes and carrots. Cook for 15 min or so, then turn off. Add in cubed chicken and peas, stirring gently so as not to cause the chicken to fall apart. Taste for seasoning. Make a basic pastry crust, roll and line the bottom of a deep dish pie plate, with at least 3/4 in overlap around the edge. Pour filling into shell, top with other half of crust, then roll and pinch edges. Use a knife to slash the upper crust a few times for ventilation, and bake until deep golden. She almost always has homemade stock, but the chicken stock from trader joe's is good too.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My recipe for Chicken Pot Pie is almost the same as jespeach except I use a 9x13 inch glass casserole dish and have just one crust on top.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Here is my family's recipe:

Chicken Pot Pie

2 (9in.) pie crusts
    1 (6oz.) can canned chicken in broth
    1 (16 oz.) can mixed veggies
    1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon poulty seasoning

Line a 9in pie pan with one crust. Combine all remaining ingredients in a seperate bowl. Pour into pie crust. Place remaining crust on top.

Bake 400 degrees 45-50 minutes

It is super simple and really delicous. Enjoy!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009