What do I do?

So I just started babysitting this four year old boy last week and while in time out he started screaming "just kill me please just kill me". I am absolutely stunned.
So again today I am watching Kyle and this time when I put him in timeout he said don't look at me" okay no big deal then burst into tears and screamed "don't look me I'm just a stupid kid I'm such a stupid kid, I'm a stupid kid." Again I was stunned, it broke my heart to hear him call himself stupid. I calmly told him"Kyle you are not stupid you are a very smart boy you are just making bad choices right now. You are a very smart boy" He looked at me with teary eyes and said "So I'm not stupid?"

what do I do?

axandra85

Asked by axandra85 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Id talk to his parents and see if there are any conflicts at home or if maybe hes watching something inappropriate on TV.

Answer by gemgem at 4:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You need to talk to his parents. When you give him time outs maybe he is saying this for attention. I feel you did the right thing by talking to him.. I would wonder where he learned this.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 5:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Is he saying those things only when he's in trouble? He may only be wanting attention, but that is certainly not what most little kids say about themselves! Let his parents know. Next time, ask him why he says those things. Don't prompt answers ("Did your parents say that?") but just ask him why he says/thinks the things that he's saying.
    wevegot3

Answer by wevegot3 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Talk to the parents and log his behavior down in writing. Keep a written report so that you can track any behavior patterns and keep his parents informed. Keep reminding him that he's a good boy and that we ALL make bad choices sometimes, even mommies and daddies. I'm sorry to say that he is probably repeating what he is hearing...and if the parents are not careful, he will grow up believing this about himself.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009