Luteal phase???

What is a luteal phase? I have heard of it when trying to chart your cycle but I am not quite sure I know what it means or how to figure it. So, what is it? And how do I figure out what my luteal phase is?

thanks!

Tricia19

Asked by Tricia19 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It is the period right after ovulation when the ruptured follicle which contained the egg breaks down to become the corpus luteum. The corpus luteum gives off the progesterone that helps support the endometrial lining that the fertilized egg embeds into. As the corpus luteum breaks down, less hormones are given off, progesterone levels drop and the lining starts to shed if there is no embryo implanted.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 4:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If I remember correctly, it's the time between ovulation and your next period. If you are charting and know when you ovulated you should be able to calculate it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It starts the day after you ovulate and ends the day your period starts. Most women have a LP of 10-16 days.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009