How can I get my 2 yr old to stop peeing the bed?

She is potty trained during the day, wears big girl panties but at night if i put her in a diaper she don't pee, but if she goes to bed in panites she does?

hayleesmommy06

Asked by hayleesmommy06 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• shes only 2 her bladder is only so big its going to happen im sure its a just a fluke that she doesnt pee when shes in a diaper.
    Anonymous

• Night training takes much longer then daytime potty training for most kids. She is only 2, most kids don't get the over night dry thing until around 4yo! If she is against wearing diapers/pull-ups to bed you can buy her the goodnight ones that look like boxer shorts or have her wear your big girl undies over a pull-up just incase she has an accident. If she makes it a month with no accidents you can ditch the pull-up and try just big girl undies again. Good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 5:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I limit my boys' drink after a certain time. I am currently potty training my 3 YO and he gets nothing to drink after 7:00pm. His bed time is at 8:00pm. Some may think this is cruel but it works and I do it! :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 5:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Did you know that 20% of 5 year olds wet the bed? It is NORMAL. It's not considered a potential medical problem until 8 years old. Why does it happen?
    (1) The bladder may be too small to make it to morning.
    (2) The body may not slow down urine production in the night like it is supposed to.
    (3) The child may sleep so deeply that they don't know they have to go and certainly don't wake up to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• What can you do?
    Do NOT blame your child, punish her, or call her names. I know you won't but you'd be surprised how many people do. But it's like yelling at someone who snores or sleep walks. It does no good and may do harm.
    Limit fluids 2 hours before bedtime.
    Keep putting her in diapers or pullups at night. When she outgrows those, switch to Good Nights.
    Wake her to go just before you go to bed OR wake her at 2am to go. Be consistent. You are trying to teach her brain to hear and respond to the full bladder.
    Be patient, loving, and supportive until she outgrows the problem or is old enough to try a bedwetting alarm (usually 4 or older).
    kaycee14

• i was a bed wetter for a long time. we did everything from alarms that go off when they get wet, to waking every 2 hours to go to the bed. we did everything. i finally outgrew it. i think 2 is not too old to still have problems. i think its kind of common. just give her some time-as frustrating as it is. put a plastic cover on the matress.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 6:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My son was not potty trained at night until he was 4.5 and I was worried, so I talked to his pediatrician. She said they dont even concern themselves with bedwetting until a child is at least 6. Mainly b/c their bladders are not strong enough or big enough to last the whole night without peeing and when they are asleep they have no control over it.

Its not her fault, just use nighttime pullups and relax. My dd is 3.5 and still wears them to bed. No worries.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Ditto to what Kaycee said. I am the mother of TWO bedwetters and its been very frustrating. One didn't stop until she was 11 and the other is now 7 and still wetting. There are so many factors. I wouldnt even consider a two yr old a bedwetter until she was over 4 or 5. You can't stop this. Just do what Kaycee suggested and wait.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009