Trip to Disney, stroller for my 5 year old??

We are going to Disney World in June. I have a 5 year old and 11 year old. We are staying 8 days, which I know are going to be loooong days. It won't be like we're only in the parks for 2 hours.We will obviously take breaks during the day to eat, rest as much as possible etc. A co-worker of my husband's suggested we purchase a lightweight stroller for our 5 year old, as she will be worn out midday, and we will likely not want to carry her constantly in 90 degree heat. LOL, this sounds almost silly to ask but is it appropriate for a 5 year old to need a stroller? I mean, I see the point, but I can't even imagine her fitting in one with out her long long legs draggint he ground. Just wondered what other moms thought about this. Good idea? Or No? And if so...do they make strollers for "big kids"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I believe renting the strollers there is pretty expensive but they make them for two. I didn't like how wide they were (we didn't rent or bring one, just made our kids walk in the heat - we were there in the end of June). You could also look into a sit and stand stroller, so that the older child could stand behind the seat. If you don't have one that will fit both of them, you could always look at resale shops. Something like this:

It has a foot board for them to stand on behind the front seat and also a little sliding bench seat if the older one feels like sitting as well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2012

• Disney rents strollers and I have seen bigger kids than 5 riding in them.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2012

• My kids are 19 months apart and I've had a double stroller that we used in Disney. They both ended up taking naps in the stroller. We went 3 years in a row. The last time was when my son was in kindergarten and my daughter was in 2nd grade. They sat when they got tired but if we were in a hurry to see a show they sat and we ran with the stroller. Renting their stuff is expensive.

As far as a stroller you may be able to get a used one on craigslist. Our's was a MacClaren and was able to hold up to 100 lbs. At 5 your dd should be about 50 lbs. You should be able to get one to hold that weight.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2012

• yes they do and it might be a good idea or a wagon. when my mom took DD to nyc for site seeing they ended up with a big girl stroller (she was 5) because all that walking and places they went wore her out
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2012

• Buy one on craigslist like robin said!! It will save you big money since you are not buying one for long term. Also just about every stroller that I have seen has a place for the child's feet to rest so they don't just hang down. (LOL Stewart from mad TV) and I would definitely bring one for your 5 year old I am willing to bet it will make for a less crabby kiddo when they just need a break. Also I would recommend one that has storage under the seat to if you get souvenirs you aren't the one toting all those around too.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• Definitely rent one there; it's not worth dragging one around

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• Really? That makes me feel better. Here I am just picturing Stewart from Mad TV riding around in a stroller, lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2012

• Robinkane.... I was just looking at the MacClarens on Babies R Us, also the light weight Jeep and the Chicco. Looks like the Chicco has no cup holder for parents or child tho, so that is likely out. My little stringbean weighs 36 lbs so I don't have to be too worried about the weight thing, but she is super tall (for the life of me, i have no clue where she gets this from), so thats where my worry comes in, but your 2nd grader had no trouble with her feet dragging, right? It's been sooooo long since I used a stroller that maybe they sit higher than I imagine, lol, I have no clue.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2012

• I would get one at Disney world, that way you don't have to put it on the plane, My husband and I went there on our honeymoon and we saw a lot of kids in there strollers. I think its a good Idea to use them. The reviews on them are amazing! and easy to cart around. If you don't already have a stroller I wouldn't get one just for a trip to Disney.... Good Luck

butterfly on head

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2012

• Wow, I'm so out of the loop! I've never even heard of a sit and stand stroller, lol. My 11 year old is likely "too cool" in his own mind to have anything to do with a stroller. LOL, I would like one for me tho. I'm already dreading the walking. The same co-worker that suggested for us to get a stroller, also told hubby that you walk about 10 miles a day! I'm in good shape, but dang!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2012