Is ODD (obsessive defiant disorder) on the autism spectrum?

isleysmom

Asked by isleysmom at 5:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• ODD is actually oppositional defiant disorder. I haven't heard of it being on the autism spectrum, but I'm not sure.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My sons autistic and I have never heard that. My other son was misdiagnosed with ADHD and ODD and thats common in kids with ADHD more then Autism according to my abnormal and biopsych class work. You can always ask your doctor about it. The thing is Autism has behavior issues anyway so I dont see how theyd label the child with ODD if theyre Autistic.

Answer by gemgem at 5:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It's Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and no, it is not on the Autism Spectrum. The Autism Spectrum Disorders are classified under the umbrella of the Pervasive Developmental Disorders, which include Autistic Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorer-Not Otherwise Specified, Rett's Syndrome and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. Having a Pervasive Developmental Disorder means there are global delays in all or almost all areas of development, whereas a child with ODD has typical developmental in all other areas except behavior, and very specific types of behaviors at that.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My daughter has Asperger Syndrome. Some of her symptoms are ADHD and ODD.
    cetmom

Answer by cetmom at 5:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009