How can I fix the relationship with my cat? & make him stop peeing on my stuff.

No seriously. This little fluffy fuzzball has taken to pissing and crapping everywhere! He poops all over this one room, has pissed on our guest bed like 5000 times. He is about a year old and fixed. We have two other cats, but the first two have been here since birth, and this guy for the past 10 months? However old they are when you get kittens.

He's declawed but he didnt start doing it til like....3 months after he was declawed so I cant think thats the reasoning.

Any suggestions? Products? He does so well with my daughter I'd hate to have to end up serving him for dinner... just kidding. But seriously, I cant keep him if he keeps peeing on ANYTHING on the floor. I have to inspect all my daughters toys regularly and shoes...ugh

Sandiii

Asked by Sandiii at 5:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pets

• If he is not neutered he will pee!
    You have to get him neutered.
    Anonymous

• He's marking his territory. Male cats spray pee on things if they aren't fixed.
    Anonymous

• Ladies, she said he IS neutered (fixed). I don't know what to say. I personally don't believe in de-clawing cats. I know they do develop personality disorders sometimes when you do that. They can become aggressive and begin to act out. Maybe that's it, maybe not. Some male cats do spray, fixed or not. Also, he could have a medical condition. You should consult your vet. Another thought... did you just change brands of litter? He might hate it. Or, you can try changing the brand and introduce him to it.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 5:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I had to declaw him because of my daughter(she is only one and they used claws). My vet said it shouldnt be an issue. My first two cats are happy and the same!
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 5:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Male cats sure can spray for territory. he's probably overwhelmed with two other cats and him being the youngest plus having your daughters too. We'd had two cats at once and it was like having little kids and one got mad and would let loose outside of his box. Your cats are all so young, make sure you have multiple litter boxes and randomly repeatedly pick the kitten or different cats up and put them in a specific litter box to claim as their own or randomly repeatedly put in different boxes to teach and reteach box use. Declawing doesn't allow them to protect themselvs outside. I had animals my whole life and we don't walk our dogs and our cats aren't outside cats but randomly they've gotten out, thank god the cats have had claws to protect against a neighborhood bully cat.Just curious, why so many cats with such a young baby?
    Anonymous

• Have you tried taking him to the vet to rule out infection?

Cats usually don't do things like that just to make the owners mad...there's usually a reason for it. My male had been peeing in our basement. I figured he had a behavioral issue like most people do. Nothing I did worked. I finally gave in and took him to the vet to find out he had a serious bladder infection and had blood in his urine. Ten days of meds and he was fine! If I had taken him to the vet in the first place I'd have saved myself a lot of stress!

Take him to the vet!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• No offense, but I would be getting rid of that cat before I would be inspecting things like toys my child probably puts in her mouth for cat pee. Once they pee somewhere they can pee there over and over. Egh. Sounds like your guest bed is the new litter box and there is no getting that out! The PP is right that when they're sick or have infections they will pee outside their box. If they don't like the brand of litter they will do it too...if their box is dirty they will, if their box is too close to their food bowl they will...there are a million different reasons, but the result is the same...piss in your house. Egh.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Ok so I get this!!! One of my cats has just started doing this a little bit. Not as bad as yours though! Cats do things intentionally when they are pissed at their owners! Example: My one cat was shut (accidentally) in a room, when I finally heard him and let him out, he went right out to the floor vent and peed in it!!!! He has never done anything like that before.I would investigate the UTI route. I have 2 males, both neutered and have recently introduced a female into the house. A few months after the female came, I caught the one male spraying. I haven't had her fixed yet, my vet likes to wait until they are at least 6 mos old. I am hoping that he stops this behavior after we have her altered. He has only done it a few times. We have added 2 litter boxes in other areas around the house and this seems to be helping. I feel ya!
    stephgood1

Answer by stephgood1 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Make sure you don't have down comforters around. I got one and my once sweet cat started peeing on EVERYTHING. it took me a while to figure it out- then I saw him pee on my coat (which was also down) and then it clicked. I had to get rid of the comforter and hang up the coat- but it was a small price to pay to keep my kitty.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• continued...

Also, maybe try holding your cat and petting him. Once he is relaxed, start petting his paws. I know this sounds weird, but it helps build trust with the cat. When petting him, regularly rub your hand over his whiskers (touching his cheek... like petting him from his mouth to his ear) so he can get your scent.
    This sounds like weird information, but it worked for me. My cat was such an asshole after he was declawed (i did it when I was preggers- so baby wouldn't get scratched). Taking the time to let him know still loved him has restored our relationship. Sorry if this post sounds like i'm a crazy cat lady- good luck:)
    bloomsr