Another/same pooping question

I've read through many of the questions about this. I made it to page 4/5 and nothing was the same. I've tried everything that's been suggested, so please bear with me.

3 yo girl, potty trained (peeing), in panties for over a year. Has yet to go poop on the potty. Pooping's been a problem since birth. Had to use suppositories at Dr advice at 6 mo. and has had prune juice every day since, so bowel movements are soft and she goes several times a day. She's not afraid of pooping per se, will poop just dandy on the floor or in her underwear. She can tell me where the poops are supposed to go and will even hold the poop between her butt cheeks until she can get on the potty and let them drop.

I've tried encouragement, sitting on the floor reading, singing, etc., rewards/bribes, charts, consequences and punishment. Tried forcing her sit until she pooped for over an hour. Every time, the moment I let her up, she'll go.

BamzaMom

Asked by BamzaMom at 5:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she's pretty regular just take her a few minutes before hand. Otherwise I would take her every hour and let her sit for five minutes. The old fashioned trick is to get an ear syringe, fill it with warm water and squirt it in the backside. Then of course sit her on the potty. Does she have her own potty chair or is she using the big potty?? your other option is to have her show you where she pooped andthen run her into the potty and tell her "in the potty" then run her back to the poo and tell her not on the floor or whereever it happens to be. Do that five times per incident. Make her clean up herself as well. Had her the gloves or whatever and let her clean it up. Good Luck!! PM for more details LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Yes, she's more or less regular and I've tried taking her in there at the appropriate time and sitting with her for several minutes for several days in a row with the same results. As soon as she's let up, she'll go. She cleans herself already, though I have to do a final cleaning because she can't see where all the poop has remained stuck. When I started making her clean up the floors, she stopped pooping on the floor. She's always used the big potty, refused to use a potty chair, so we started straight in on the big potty. I'm hesitant to use an enema only because I'm afraid she'll associate that with pooping as well and start hiding harder when she feels she has to poop.
    BamzaMom

Answer by BamzaMom at 6:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My husband and I have both reiterated time and again that she's supposed to go on the potty and she says, "No" and that she doesn't want to. She knows it's supposed to go in there, because she'll tell you poops go in the potty. She's not afraid of pooping, not afraid of the potty. Has no problems flushing the poop once it's in the potty. She'll tell you she went poop in the living room while holding said poop with her "buns of steel" and ask to go on the potty.

I've just hit this wall and don't know what else to try.
    BamzaMom

Answer by BamzaMom at 6:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have an issue that is similar. My son is 7 and is still having pooping problems. I have, like you, done everything I know to do to get him to stop pooping in his pants. He doesn't do it all the time, but I can tell hes holding it. I finally broke down and took him to the doctor to have him checked out medically and the doc, who is awesome, gave me some pointers. He told me that his anal area is very very strong. He examined him rectally to make sure there was no stool there and that his muscles were working. He said that he could tell he had been working it out by holding it. They hold and hold and hold and at some point the poop is just going to come out. The tummy can't hold it but so long. He told me that medically he is fine....cont.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• He explained to me that the rest is a mind thing. He talked about personalities and how a child with a internal processing like a turtle will express emotions in different ways. He knows this is the only thing he can control and because hes stewing over something internally, it will show up in other areas....like bowels. He said that just the least little thing could set him off and it might not be as drastic as change or something upsetting at school. It could be something simple. He told me that he needed to take responsibilty for his underwear (which he was already doing) and that my dh and I needed to say nothing...just let him deal with it. He told me to make him sit in the bathroom and try to prevent this, but if it didn't work, then just move on. No yelling, no berating, no scolding, no bribing...nothing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Let him work this out on his own. He told me that he would outgrow it or be forced to deal because of school, but that it was his battle. That might help you. I dont know but it does sound as if shes having an issue with fear....Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009