Considering asking guests not to bring toys for my daughter's birthday. Any opinions?

She has a lot of toys - and we have two other children, so space is limited. She doesn't really need anything, but we still want to give her a party! Should we say anything to our guests?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I asked this of my child's playmates, but suggested the parent to paste a picture of their child on construction paper and had them write what about my child makes them laugh or what they like to do with my child. I was able to bind the papers and make a book. Of course my child loves reading this, and it will be a keepsake for later on!
    HelenetheQueen

Answer by HelenetheQueen at 8:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Perhaps, to make room for new gifts, you could sort through her toys together to give to other little girls who don't have any toys. For me personally, getting gifts is part of the fun and excitement of having a birthday party, for both the birthday girl and the gift givers.
    BamzaMom

Answer by BamzaMom at 5:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Just put on the invitation no gifts please.
    Anonymous

• lol we did the same thing for our sons bday party we just put gift cards or clothes
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 5:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We did the same thing though we did ask for clothes, books and games. Other parents understand... it is getting the grandparents to understand. Now that is the hard part. LOL!
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think it's fine to say no gifts, but it's so absolutely tacky to suggest what gift to bring!!! Why not go ahead and accept the gifts, then take them to a shelter or children's hospital and donate them. You can even let your guests know that's what you'd like to do. I'm sure they'd be happy to be a part of that. I would.

Anonymous

• My son's birthday is in March. He has a ton of toys so I wrote "Santa brought so many toys at Christmas, if you'd like to bring a bday present I need Size 2T summer clothes." That's what he really needed and it saved me from having to buy it all. He still got toys and books but most everyone brought him an outfit or 2. We appreciated it.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I put on my invitations "no gifts please, just join us for cake and celebrating" and they ALL brought gifts anyway. A friend of mine did the same and they also brought gifts. I think either way, you will end up gifts.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You can try a couple things:
    One just put on the invitations that suggested perfect b-day party gifts are: gift cards, books (and let people know your daughters interest), board games, art stuff, or ____ decorations that would match her room, or _____ color of school supplies.
    Or you can do a theme birthday party and ask people via invitation and word of mouth you're trying to get clothes, books, decorative stuff that fit this theme, and you aren't looking for any toys fitting the theme.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 6:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• No, that is tacky from above^^^^
    Anonymous