I'm 46 yrs old have not had a period since june of 2010 ive always been fairly thin 120 lbs nothing more up until the last 5 months I now weigh 143 can you get prego if you don't have periods anymore?

I have taken 4 tests all were negative.. so i'm assuming maybe it's just menopause..but I was watching a show on tv the other day, where there were women who didn't know they were pregnant had babbies and it got me to thinking..what if? as I said I have not had a period since june of 2010

orchidmyst

Asked by orchidmyst at 1:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2012 in Pregnancy

• are you asking if your are pregnant?? Take a test... then call your doc and make an appointment to discuss all this.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• Yikes. In the early ages of menopause, there are times when you will still ovulate, therefore making pregnancy possible. I would DEFINITELY test. That said, the change in hormones take their own toll on your body, too, and weight gain can be one of them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• well i guess it depends on why your not having a period. is it menopause?
    i have gotten preg 2 times w/o a period but i have endometrosis, i still ovulate just no period
    mommaFruFru

Answer by mommaFruFru at 2:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• have you talked to your doctor about all of this?
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• You REALLY NEED to see an OBGYN ASAP. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• You can take a prego test. But you are also in the range of being menopausal. SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!!
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 2:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• it can happen but it is very unlikely. you are probably going through pre-menopause and the weight gain is from not getting enough estrogen or to much of it, either way i would talk to your Doc. get some test done to make sure you are not pregnant and about your weight gain and what not. GL
    emmy12345

Answer by emmy12345 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2012

• Sounds like it could be menopause, but you should see a doctor just the same.
    dragonfly750

Answer by dragonfly750 at 1:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2012

• When you haven't had a period for a year they consider you're in menopause. In your case, it's been a year and a half.

Once you're in menopause (and at 46 this is very much a probability) you cannot get pregnant because you are no longer ovulating.

However, you really should see your doctor to find out what caused you to gain 23lbs in 5 months. Weight gain is common in menopause (especially around the stomach) but 23 lbs is really an awful lot.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2012

• Could be Peri-Menopause ......will make you have irregular periods !! G L
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2012