potty training

Im thinking about potty training my 21 month old son he is so smart so i think he will do well. IM wanting to know how many moms had there sons potty trained right at or before age 2.

busygal26

Asked by busygal26 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always find it humorous when a parent decides that they are going to potty train. Its one of those things that you just don't wake up one morning and decide to do. There are many factors to consider. Is he ready? Does he know when hes peed or pooped? Is he familiar with the potty at all? Is he going to be cooperative? Does he tell you when hes pooped? Most boys are over 2 and closer to 3 but there are always kids that are not the norm. How smart he is probably won't help you. Its how ready he is that will help. My son is 2.5 and super smart BUT hes my 4th child and hes a bit of a late bloomer. I thought for sure he would be 3 before he even showed interest at all in the potty. Back in october, I introduced the potty to him and he got the pee part down.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• This is a kid who doesn't talk well but understands everything. Then when we got to the poop part, he said NO. I have not pushed him at all and just let him decide on his own time. Hes working on it and I figure he will eventually get it down. Theres no rush. Just let him tell you when hes ready and gently guide him with routine. Its a good time to introduce the potty, but he will probably be a while actually getting it all down. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well, intelligence has very little to do with it. My brother has 4 kids. The smartest of them (and she's one of the smartest young ladies I have ever met) wasn't trained until she was nearly 4. She just wasn't interested. And interest is one of the most important things in potty training.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Can you start? Sure. Just take him to the potty every 45 mintues or so and put him on the potty. If he fights to get up and leave, let him. You will make things worse if you force him to sit there. Don't schedule any long trips out of the house or sign up for any long Mommy & Me classes until he is well on the way to begin trained. And don't expect him to tell you when he has to go for up to another year. Many, many parents quickly get tired of the "take them to the potty" routine and get impatient for their child to take over and tell them when he has to go. Your impatience will not speed things up and may actually slow them down. That's one of the main factors in the "wait until they are ready to learn" method. Waiting until they are ready - instead of some certain age or you being sick of diapers - means less work and frustration on your part.
    kaycee14

• I thought about potty training my son before he was 2 also, but that was only becasue he flat out refused to wear a diaper. He will let you know. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2009