StepKids That Drive You Crazy?

My husband has a son and daughter from a previous marriage. They are 12 and 13., and we have been married for 7 years now. They come and stay with us Thurdays through Sundays. I have tried my best throughout the years to be close and get to know them. The last year or so have been hard as they are getting older. It seems like they want to ruin everything and have an horrible attitude 24/7. Last week was Dh's 31st birthday and I spent a great deal of time planning it and the kids got out of hand and seemed to have a fit that the attention wasn't fixed on them. I want to tear my hair out. They are rude to me almost all the time and have started to rebel against our house rules. They aren't even listening to my husband when he tells them something. I am so stressed out and don't know what to do. Should this be something I should take with a grain or salt or what? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• What's your relationship like with their mother and her spouse? We try to stay on top of my step son (age 14), by keeping his mom and stepdad informed on the behaviors and attitudes that go on at our house. The reason is to maintain consistancy. We tell her when he's grounded or if he has homework still, etc, and she enforces the same consequences on him at her house. This way he's not getting away with anything regardless of where he is. I know this wont work in all situations, but it's a start. Maybe your DH could try talking to his ex and see if they can work together on a discipline plan. Good Luck. I know its tough! Message me if you need some support. Im sure we're going thru a lot of the same teenage drama!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Its the age. My kids drive me crazy around the same age. Dont you know the world centers around all teens?

Answer by gemgem at 5:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• First of all teen are that way, regardless if your a step-mom or bio-mom.Sence you a step-mom, you should have a talk with your DH about this. And when the kids are their, lock your self in the bed room and let him deal with those 2 teens.

Answer by louise2 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It is normal. They would treat you like that no matter if you were step or mom period. I would just keep on them. And hopefully it's just a phase. lol
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• SS is 10 and he drives both his dad and I crazy! He is just like his mother, and we don't like her personality (DH never really did but he admits to thinking with his penis was a big mistake)
    Anonymous