when your pregnant is it safe to sleep on your back or should you sleep on your side?

Tricia737

Asked by Tricia737 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• At around 16-20 weeks they say you should try to avoid sleeping on your back. The weight of your belly and baby can press on your aorta and cause problems with blood flow. I have heard some doctors say that as long as you are comfortable and it is not causing any discomfort then it is ok though. Your left side is really the best bet though!
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I can't sleep only on my side, because of severe hip pain. I sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees for a bit, then I sleep on my right side and then I sleep on my left side... i pretty much toss and turn all night, but at least I can sleep. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• that is crap if people tell you its not safe i can tel you this right now my son i slept on my back the whole time i couldnt do my sides and just about every woman in my family said the same thing if it is comfortable then so be it you should at least beable to sleep comfortble right lol i mean we have enough problems being pregnant already ...
    Anonymous

• If you're comfortable, sleep. If you sleep on your back, just be sure to move slowly when you get up at first...

The baby will be fine and you will be fine....if you're concerned talk to your OB.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009