How many of you LOVE the freedom of HOMESCHOOLING?

I know I do. :)

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do too!!!!

I love being able to "do school" any time of the day, take field trips to wherever...whenever, taking days off when we need a break, and having control over the curriculum :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Indeed ! With our first two, my husband took them with him to the private school where he was teaching. It was a Waldorf school, so they got wonderful art, craft, languages, etc. and I liked that they were experiencing that, but I did miss them. After all, from the time they were born until they were 5 I had totally enjoyed devoting my time to them. As a faculty wife I did get a lot of opportunities to help in the classrooms, so I wasn't completely cut off ... Yeah, I was puzzled by parents who complained about having their kids home during school vacations. When they were in 5th grade, the student population had become so toxic from being mostly wealthy two-career families that we had to take them out - even though we really value Waldorf education AND our tuition was free! So after that we combined homeschool with attending some classes like science or algebra. I LOVED it !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I can't wait to start, praying that everything works out that way :~) I don't know how I could handle being a single mom who needs to work and wants to finish college homeschooling my little one though . . . lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Oh, and the sheer richness of education is out of this world ! Since they were not wasting HOURS every day sitting in classrooms waiting for the 20 minutes of learning time (if they were lucky), our kids got to enjoy LOTS of things. ... I remember when our youngest was about14, we were looking at the upcoming semester, discussing what we would schedule. She had cello lessons, youth orchestra, karate, swim team, and her friend's horse (these were activities SHE wanted - I was trying to help her scale down to a less busy schedule). She had to choose between having time with friends or sitting in a classroom 30 hours a week. Obviously, we homeschooled that semester. I think school used to offer more, now it just deprives them of time.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Lol, I do too. At time it can be stressful, especially during state testing time when I always get worried, however afterwards I have always been lucky to walk away proud of my children and our accomplishments. They are all working so far ahead of their peers and such smart and well behaved kids; I’m not looking at going back to public school.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 6:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009