Is it a good idea to own a hand gun?

I am a very paranoid person.. and I am about to stop working when my baby is born.. so I will be at home all day by myself... I am thinking I would feel safer to own a gun, and of course keep it up and out of reach. what do u girls think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Owning a gun is a good idea if you take a gun safety class and learn how to use it. Make sure you are comfortable shooting it and know how to handle it---loading and unloading. I would suggest a semi-auto pistol to a revolver. We have both and I have a really nice revolver my husband bought me for Christmas a year ago, but I much prefer the pistols and that is what I would go for if the need ever arose.

Anonymous

• Get a dog? Get an alarm system?

What good is a gun going to do you if it's locked up and out of reach?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think it depends on where you live and if you think it will be unsafe for you and your baby. We have one but I have no worries during the day, it's when my husband is working at night that I get scared everytime I hear a noise..lol
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• no, get a security system or at least floods and cameras on your property. A scared person such as your describing yourself doesn't need a gun. When I have repairmen in I leave my front door open and i tell them where an appliance or a plug is I don't show it to them in the basement or garage, whereever. Also there have been times for different reasons when for appliance repair I've waited for an appointment til a weekend when my husband's home so I wouldn't be receiving a workman alone. I had a worker come to my house drunk. Scared the shi out of me and my daughter. We stayed in our family room and the *#($&@*( kept commenting on what we were doing and why were we doing whatever on our computer. Since then only when hubby's home do I allow repairmen in my home.
    Anonymous

• I'm totally against owning any kind of weapon, especially guns! If I were you I would get a dog!
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 6:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Renee did I say locked up? I meant out of reach if kids are in my house! wtf! why even comment.. if its rude? keep it to urself...
    Anonymous

• anon- i never said i am a scared person... paranoid is different then scared...
    Anonymous

• Anon, I wasn't being rude.

If you have children in the house the gun should be locked up. It's the responsible thing to do.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• There was a brief time when I considered buying one, right after my divorce. I just didn't trust my Ex who was not wrapped too tight. But I decided against it and luckily nothing happened. I don't feel comfortable with a gun in my house. I do have a large dog with a vicious bark and a very protective nature. He does give me a LOT of comfort at night.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 6:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I don't think ReneeK3 was being rude, and I agree with her, for myself. I considered getting a gun, but with two very nosy, curious kids, it would need to be locked up with the ammo separate, so it seemed kind of pointless. It can only protect me if it's right there accessible, and in most situations where I would truly need it, I wouldn't have time to unlock, get the gun, get the ammo, load it, etc. And like hopelessnance, I have a dog that is very nasty sounding...and backs up his sound.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009