How long will you let your child play educational games on the computer?

My son has been on Noggin.com for the past hour and a half...lol. I'm enjoying the peace but am feeling like I need to have him get off and do something else.

NJMom2Tyler

Asked by NJMom2Tyler at 6:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (-15 Credits)
  • I've actually talked about this with my pediatrician because my sister's kids were obsessed. My doc told me that between the ages of 7-10 1-2 hours is okay. He wouldn't advise much more than that. But it also depends on the level of physical activity they get. If thy are highly active then more towards the two hours, if they are lazy butts he said 45 minutes- an hour would be best. That's just his professional opinion though... :)
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 6:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If I had my way - 30 mins. But MIL lives here and she lets him play the stupid thing all day long. DH lets him play it as long as he wants to "because he likes it". Fine let him become a little robot. My opinion doesn't count for anything.
    Anonymous

• He's extremely physically active! Lol...we've been sledding today..he's done some math worksheets, he's had free play time, etc.He's a busy beaver!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 6:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• He's off! Lol..I didn't need to stop him. He's now ready for his bath :-)
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 6:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• They don't play educational games on the computer. Unless Poptropica and Club Penguin are educational. Usually I don't even have to put a limit because they start fighting over the computer and then get booted off within a half hour. Usually I limit them to 1 hour each because they fight and there are 3 of them and only 1 computer. They don't get on it very often to begin with because they share with hubby.
    They do have a DS and sometimes my 8yo plays it all day. Whatever keeps her happy and out of my hair (she's a whiner and drives me nuts). There isn't much else to do in the winter. In the summer I only let her play off and on during the day as long as she also goes outside to play.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We have a limit for all games, video or computer, of an hour.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I rather for my son to spend time playing educational games than any other games. It really helps him at school, it helps me too. lol He likes the disneychannel site. But kids do need to run off that energy.
    jesspraise35

Answer by jesspraise35 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'm fairly lax about timing computer/video games/tv. My kids are active and do well in school. As long as their school work and chores are done properly then they have free time. Especially during the winter when they don't get out as much.

I do refuse to let them play before school and after 7pm.

And even though I don't time it, they seem to play for about 1/2 to one hour. Sometimes less sometimes more. It just depends on the day.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 9:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2009