How much do you contribute to Charity?

The Obama's gave less than 1 percent to charity until they decided Barack was going to run for President. They then upped that to 5-6 percent. We give over 10 percent to charities and another 10 percent to church. We make 100k a year. We live just fine. I wonder how many other regular people on Cafemom give more to charity percentage wise than our soon to be President?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i don't always give money but i do give time to charities and i also give things that i no longer need does that count? i once gave away a perfectly running car away to a friend so that he could go to work and support his family.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Most of the population only saves 2.6 cents for every dollar they earn. Wow good for you if you are giving away 20% of your paycheck.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• we make over 100,000 together and we give 10% of our income every week to our church. We take care of families in need around the holidays and throughout the year. We feel we are blessed to have what we have and have no problem sharing for those that are less fortunate. We give 10% to church because the bible says we should. lets face it without god and his blessings none of us would have anything to give anyway. We fel good when we cdan make someones day alittle easier
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I give blood. That's about as charitable as I can afford to be right now. Actually, I might change my name to Charity! j/k
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 7:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Wow...you give $192.00 a week to your church that's awesome, that is almost $835 a month. Good for you that is awesome.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We usually give $20 a week to the church we'd give more but unfortunately till we get opur debt paid down that's about all we can afford.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Last year, my husband and I gave over $11,000. We are a middle class military family and I own my own business.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• $300/year approximately.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• aparnt. i give more then Obama.... well how does he get off talking about "share the wealth"and he doesn't? oh boy....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Money is not a fair assessment. We give what we can afford and never keep a real tally. I have no know idea what percentage we give but I know it's enough. More importantly, though, we give of our own time and talents. Frankly, it's so easy to just write a check and feel good about it - Giving of self means so much more and really impacts the person on either end of the equation. I've seen some wonderful changes in a person I was helping face to face that I didn't see when a check got handed over to some faceless agency. And that sort of giving is not something you'd find quantified on a fiscal statement though.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009