Making a legal Will

Can my husband & I type up a will & it hold up if, God forbid, we die at the same time? Or do we have to see a lawyer?

texas_mama

Asked by texas_mama at 6:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go to legal zoom .com. They do wills for cheap there.

I think, but not sure. If you do it your self, you need to get it notarized.

Answer by louise2 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I went through Legalzoom.com, and like the one I did through them. You do need to get the will notarized, but worth the time and money vs. a lawyer that may ask more or be flaky and not follow through. http://www.legalzoom.com/

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You could write it on a napkin and it can be submitted as evidence of your wishes. To make everything detailed and official, I would recommend using someone's will as an example or template and having it notarized.

I did this with my Power of Attorney. My grandfather had his drafted by a lawyer and I basically used it as a template to do my own substituting in my own wishes, provisions, and authorities. Oh, and I think having it notarized cost me all of $8
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I got this book and software:
    http://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Willmaker-Plus-2009-Essentials/dp/141330902X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232413060&sr=8-2

The software is great. It steps you through with lots of questions and helps you figure out ALL of the legal documents you need. The documents it creates are legal in all the states with the possible exception of Lousiana.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Does the notary expire?
    texas_mama

Answer by texas_mama at 7:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2009