• In the Spotlight:

Is this normal?? When did your child start sleeping through the night?

i see all these question posted by moms wanting to know how to get their child to sleep through the night. Their kids are like 15, 18 months or something. My daughter will be 2 on wednesday and still doesnt/never has slept through the night. The most she has ever done is slept from 10pm to 5 or 6 then wakes up for comfort and goes back to sleep for an hour or 2 and has only ever done this like 5 times, other than that she wakes up about 2 or so times a night for comfort. Is there anything I can do other then letting her cry it out, which I refuse to do? I always just assumed it was normal and that all 2 year olds do it.

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 10 months and sleeps all night, and has on and off since he was 4 weeks. He went through a phase that lasted about two months when he was around 6 months i think that he woke up every night just for his binky. now he sleeps all night.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If you're not willing to let her cry it out and soothe herself on her own, then it will probably be awhile. She's gotten used to the schedule she created.

I let my kids CIO and they are all fine. That doesn't mean that I didn't go in to check on them and make sure things were alright. I checked on them and as long as they were fine, I gave them a kiss and left the room. They'd go back to sleep in a few minutes. It never lasted long and my kids all sleep the whole night through.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My son is ten months and he always wakes up at least once a night for a bottle and comfort.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 7:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My daughter was about 5-6 months old, when she was sleeping through the night. Every once in a while shed wake up for a snuggle. She has been sleeping through the night totaly from 9pm till 9am for a 2 years now. She is 2 1/2.
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 7:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My daughter who is 6 1/2yrs old now. Started sleeping throughout the night at 2months old. for 6-8hrs. Than want a bottle, and most of the time she'd go back to sleep after the bottle and diaper change for another 1-2hrs.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• All of mine were sleeping through the night by 3 mos. old. I didn't have to let them CIO because they just did it on their own.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Mine did that. I realized around a year that it was habit. She woke up because she had always woken up and I always came and spent time with her. I decided to let her cry one night. It worked. She knows if she needs me, I will come. I know if she needs me, I will go. But she no longer wakes up just because and she no longer expects me to come spend time with her at 2am. I also noticed the bags under her eyes went away and she became a much happier, much better behaved toddler. So my conclusion was that my "loving, gentle" approach was making her tired and cranky.
    I have heard that kids do outgrow waking in the night. But everyone differs on when. Some say by 2, some by 3, some later.
    So, you can wait until then or tell her enough is enough. I'll warn you, since she is 2, letting her cry will take longer simply because the habit and lesson of "mom will come spend time with me" are so ingrained.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I followed Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. We got the book when the twins were 6 mos old and immediately they began taking great naps and sleeping through the night (12hrs). With Healthy Sleep Habits you do have the option as to whether to let them cry or not (if you chose not to then you're left with soothing to sleep every time).

That said, I've also heard good things about the No Cry Sleep Solution. Perhaps that'd work for you.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I taught my son to sleep all night last month(at 21 months old). It took less than 2 weeks and no tears(I'm against CIO). I used the book The No Cry Sleep Solution. It worked wonders!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I believed in the CIO method....at 13 months his sister had arrived and a newborn needed my full attention at times when it was time for feeding and such so at 8pm i put him in bed and told him he was a big boy and he needs to start putting himself to sleep and he cried for 2hrs or so with me checking on him and calming him down and every night the crying slowed down until it only took a few minutes to fall asleep and my DD i am going to do the same thing...
    Anonymous