bigger than normal belly?

I found out a week before Christmas that I am pregnant, but my first dr. appt. is not until Feb. 4th. This is my second baby (my first is only 5 months). My belly is out of control big already. Its embarrasing! I mean, I don't know how far along I am at all because I never had a period after the first was born, but I could not be more than 3 months. I have heard that your belly grows faster with the second pregnancy, but I didn't know how fast. Is it normal for me to look 4 months already when I am probably only 2 months since it is my second? Or could the bigger than normal belly be because I just had a baby 5 months ago? I am just weighing the possibilities because I am paranoid about twins (they do run in my family).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I only have 1 so I am not sure, but from what I have heard, you do get bigger with the second. As far as how big and how fast though, Im not sure.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• it could be either, or both... your stomach muscles and uterus have not had time to shrink down like they were before you had any kids, and most women usually show faster with the second baby also. I am on my second, and my son is 4 years and I am only 15 weeks but i've looked pregnant for a while now... good luck and feel free to message me if you want...
    blondie09

Answer by blondie09 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well... most likely it is a combination of things. Maybe you didn't lose ALL you previous baby weight, on top of that bloating is common and yes, you show faster in ladder pregnancies BUT if you are only 2 months then i doubt you are showing b/c of the baby. It's usually other things....but either way, congrats!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I've heard from many people that your kids get progressively bigger as you go. So 2 will be bigger than 1, 3 bigger than 2. It could be because your muscles didn't get a chance to fully contract from your last pregnancy, it could be twins, it could be your diet (do you eat a lot of salt that could cause bloating making it seem like you're bigger?), there are a bunch of possibilities. I'd say to relax and wait it out until you go to the doctor, but I know how I worry and if someone told me that I'd roll me eyes. Just take it as easy as possible, be patient, and address your concerns with your doctor!
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 7:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I am 8 weeks with baby #2. I lost all of my pregnancy weight (DD is 16 months) plus 30 lbs. I have gained close to 4 lbs already and I don't see how as I have not been eating any more or less. I am thinking it is water retention. But I have noticed as of today that my belly is a 1/2 bigger. I am oveweight to begin with, and my clothing still fits fine, but that 1/2 inch difference is there...I measured it! My belly started to get bigger with my first at around 3 months. Mind you I didn't look pregnant, just fatter, but it was bigger at 3 months just the same. So I imagine that with my second it makes sense that I could be getting a bigger belly at 2 months. Twins crossed my mind too, since they are in my family (both mom and uncle had a fraternal twin that died in child birth) but I won't have an U/S till 12 weeks so I just have to wait and see.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I am pregnant with number 2 and i asked the same question,when i was about 8weeks i look 4-5 months.I have always been underweight and after my first over 3 years ago i lost all the baby weight and then some.so i would say yes it is normal to look farther along then what you are with a 2nd child,everyone is different.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Im 19 weeks pregnant with number 2. I started looking pregnant, at 6-8 weeks. I thought it was outa control as well. So ide say its pretty normal!
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 6:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2009