My fellow non-Christians...question? (open to all though =])

I've always wondered about this. I'm agnostic, so obviously I'm open-ended about this situation, but I'm wondering how those who aren't Christian would explain this.

My step-niece used to be afraid of sleeping in her room because she swore she saw "angels." She's five now, but when she was around three, she kept telling her mom that an angel was in her room and wouldn't leave. According to my stepsister, she was too young at that time to know what an angel was or what one looked like.

After asking my step-niece what the angel looked like, she replied "It's white, with wings."

So I know most Christians will automatically reply that she without a doubt saw an angel. But to my fellow non-Christians...how can you explain it? I figure either she was lying and just playing pretend, or...I dunno. Help me out here, lol.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm pagan. I believe it's possible she saw an angel. While not a part of my releigion I do feel that angels (and deamons) exist. I don't think of them in the biblical sense. But if I believe that other entities exist...well why not angels?

It could have been something else. Another entitiy entirely. But an angel is just as possible.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• There's no telling. Could've been shadows & light playing tricks on the eyes.... could've been, like you said, playing pretend... couldn't been a ghost/spirit --- I mean, who am I to say a ghost can't sprout wings? Could've been a ghost with an aura (I probably spelled that wrong).... Could've been an angel (which would not change my religious views, btw). Who really knows?

Kids are more open to supernatural/paranormal things like that ---- there's just no telling what she saw, if anything.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would say she saw something. Kids are very receptive to those types of things. Could have been an angel or the light could have looked like wings. I would simply tell her that whatever it is will not hurt her but if she does not like it then I would go to her room and announce that who/whatever it is needs to leave (as crazy as that sounds it DOES work) and if that wasn't enough for her I would buy 4 small quartz crystals and put them in the 4 corners of her room.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• As an agnostic myself, all I can say is that 3 year olds "see" more than we could ever hope too. Just because I can't see angels doesn't mean they don't exist. Just because I'm not Christian doesn't mean I don't believe that angels exist. Then again you could always play it up to an over-active imagination, Guardian Angel, random Spirit, weird movie, or halfway to dreaming.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well, do we really know what extraterrestrials look like? That is just one possiblity, right? I believe in spirits and I believe they will manifest themselves in a way that we want to see them.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I believe that angels exist and I believe the more open we are the more we are able to see. A child that age has innocence and is able to see things that we won't because we deny ourselves them and / or have been told this doesn't exist or that it isn't real. I believe she did see something and she is the only one that can tell you what it is. I personally would believe her and ask her to explain it more. You can learn a lot from a child.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my daughter use to see angles when she was 3. 

Anonymous

• I think she probably saw or sensed another presence. Maybe a guardian angel or a spirit guide or something along those lines.

Children are very open to things that we adults cant always understand or explain. My 4 yr old from the time he was about 2 would talk about his grandma Susan and point out her picture on the wall and say how she came out of the wall to talk to him at night. At this point he didnt know what her name was nor that that particular picture WAS her. But he pointed it out and had her name.
    Sometimes they just know.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Who knows? Personally I've never seen a ghost or an angel... but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I do think that children in general are more receptive to the so called 'supernatural' than adults are. My nephew used to talk very eloquently about what could be interpreted as a past life (he said that he lived on a farm, and had to get water from a well, and that another family member was also there but 'she didn't look the same but it was still her.') One of my cousins had a premonition of a serious accident involving our grandparents- she was sledding, then suddenly turned around and walked home and told her mom that something was wrong with grandma and she was going to the hospital. Her mom said no, that grandma was fine... about half an hour later the phone rang with the news about the accident. Kids are full of surprises! So I'm openminded on the subject.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• There could be many reasons for this... if she saw something she could of misinterpreted what she was seeing... comparing it to a something similar... it could have been a ghost with a white cape... it could have been the lights playing tricks on her... matrixing, etc.. or who knows... maybe she did see an angel.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2009