what are the pros and cons of breastfeeding?

IMURmonkey

Asked by IMURmonkey at 7:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont really have any cons other then at first getting used to it is hard and if you do it wrong your breasts can hurt. The pros are feeling closer to the baby, knowing your giving your baby immunity to many diseases, and just knowing youre doing something for your baby no one else in the world can.

Answer by gemgem at 7:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have yet to hear of any reasonable cons unless the mother just refuses to eat decent meals.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• There really are no cons at all. I guess if your baby has a sensitivity to a certain food it could be a bit difficult, but for a vast majority of people there are zero cons. The first couple of weeks can be rough, but you are not inhibited by breastfeeding. you can pump if you want to to go out!

The pros of breastfeeding: Better for the baby! Breastfed babies are statistically healthier and statistically smarter. Of course it doesn't mean all breastfed babies are those things, but it definitely helps. Breast milk is easier to digest, which means softer stools and usually less constipated. Conveniant, no bottles to mess with.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• pros....always the right temp., always ready..no mixing, no bottles to fix, clean, or sterilize,diaper bag is lighter, you will never run out in the middle of the night, its free, better for baby, easier for baby to digest....I could go on
    cons....first few weeks it seems all I did was BF,

I BF one of my three, wish I would have all of them, but had too with the youngest...he was allergic to all other formulas...I am glad I did
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Read the actual study...breastfeeding does NOT make them "statistically smarter". The increase was an average of 2 IQ points higher in that specific sample...and was deemed by the AUTHORS of the study to be NOT statistically significant.

Anonymous

• I can't think of any cons. The pros are- happier baby with less tummy aches, no nasty smelling spit up, less poop(my BF son pooped only weekly and that is totally normal), BF babies have a lower chance of being obese and having other adulthood problems, they have a higher IQ, no stains on their clothes from formula puke, for my kids it meant MUCH less spit up, no washing bottles, no mixing, no getting up for night time feedings....it goes on and on! I've had both BF and FF kids. I prefer BF hands down. I really find bottle feeding to be a PITA!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I breastfed all four of my children. With my twins I breastfed them for 16 month here are the pros. you do not have to prepare a bottle, you save money, your always prepared, healthy for you and child, breastfeeding helped me get to pre pregnancy weight. Cons. breast are sore when you stop, and you gain weight

Anonymous

• Oh yea... you save TONS of money! lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• A good con would be that it's hard to get a hang of in the beginning. But I suppose once you and your baby figure out a good routine, it's a great thing. (I exclusively formula feed, but I started out breastfeeding.)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Breastfeeding is a great bonding, but it is ONLY bonding for mother and child. Poor daddy and other family members get left out. You can pump and bottle feed. Sometimes babies don't like to bottle feed after the breast. Breastmilk is alway available. No running out of breastmilk. Let me add to that, milk supply can run low or be interrupted. breastfeeding is supposed to be painless, but I was in agony and therefore unable to bond with my child. So that could be a con. If you go back to work, you have to pump to keep your supply up, or take time to go to day care, home,wherever you child is to nurse. Breastmilk is easiest to digest (most of the time) and the right temp and the best nutrietion for baby. Formula tries to mimic but has not yet succeed.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009