Why is my son not talking yet?

My son is almost 20 months old and still isn't talking. I haven't had insurance so I haven't been able to get him into a doctor. But our medicaid should go though by the end of next month so I'll be able to get him to a doctor. He talks baby talk but wont say actual words. At first I thought it was normal, that maybe he's just a lil late learning how to talk because he learned alot of things early like walking and crawling but the older he gets the more concerned I am. Does anyone have any advise. Please anything helps. Thanks so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 2 years old you can have him checked out by a developmental ped. In some states the check-up is free and paid for by the state.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• What do you mean by "baby talk"?
    Do you mean "goo goo ga ga" meaningless babble?
    OR
    Do you mean "wawa" for water, "dee" for balloon, "dah" for doggie?
    If you mean the first one, then there may be a problem. Doctors want to see 10 to 20 words at the 18 month check up.
    If you mean the second one, then you need to realize what toddler "words" are. If he makes a sound - any sound - and you know what he means, then it counts as a word. Even if his sound doesn't sound like the word at all. The point is communication not full, proper words.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Thank u for your answers. as for kaycee14 I mean the first one. I know what toddler words are. He dosen't make any sounds that are close to any words. and he's starting to throw tantrums because he can't communicate with me and he should be able to.
    Anonymous

• AH! I explained because many moms assume their child will speak in full, proper words from the get-go.
    I'm glad you'll be able to have him checked soon. As amethystrse says, you can also look around for a free eval place. If you happen to be in California, look for your local First5 office.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You don't need to wait for your doctor....call Early Intervention. They can evaluate him and start therapy if he needs it. They'll evaluate him in all areas, not just speech. If you can't find the number, call your school districts special education department. They will have it.

My son was 22 months before he said his first real word. He's been in speech therapy since last October and is now starting to use phrases and short sentences, he gets the right number of syllables out for a word but not always the right sound.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Reach out as much as you can! There is SOOOOO much help out there now a days. Special ed and autistic spectrum children can start school as early as 3. The structure does WONDERS for them.

Among the early signs and symptoms that parents and Pediatricians look for to alert them that a child needs further evaluation for autism include:

not smiling by six months of age
    not babbling, pointing or using other gestures by 12 months
    not using single words by age 16 months
    not using two word phrases by 24 months
    having a regression in development, with any loss of language or social skills
    Infants with autism might also avoid eye contact, and as they get older, act as if they are unaware of when people come and go around them, as you can see in this autism screening quiz.
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 10:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Whoa! Just because he hasn't started talking yet does NOT mean he needs to be evaluated for Autism!

My 2 year old has a severe speech delay but there are no signs of autism!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I wanted to let you know, that i have been there. My son didnt really even start talking until he was 4. He had a hard time using words and communicating. But we had to learn to communicate by actions, like pointing. I took him to the doctor and all he suggested was speech therapy, but he told me that sometimes its just normal for boys to develop slower in the area of speech especially in kids his age. My inlaws told me that my husband didnt even talk until he was around 3. My son is 6 years old now, and he wont shut up! He speaks better, and does reading better than his entire class. He was held back a year, because we didnt feel he was ready to start kindergarten last year. Im very glad we did. He does not have autism, but we have been told adhd. Which is something we have also learned to handle through proper diet. Good luck to you, I know how frustrating it can be.
    HollieSpirit

Answer by HollieSpirit at 1:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My boy was over 2 before he said his first word. My brother was over 3. They will talk when they are ready just have patience and talk to him all the time. If he wants something say what he wants. He will talk when he is ready.
    tensign

Answer by tensign at 7:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Thank you guys so much for the answers! They really help!
    Anonymous