Do you confiscate your kids $$ from cards they recieve?

I do and am totally OK w/ it. It always goes towards whatever the occasion is. For example Xmas checks often go to buying tickets to the polar express train ride. Sons last birthday cash from great auntie went into the arcade games, etc etc

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2012 in General Parenting

• DD is 2, so yes I take it. But it gets used for something she needs/wants.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• Not at this age. My kids are 7 and 9. DD, 9, had a birthday a week ago and we are just now starting to get her cards. We take checks and give her money. We actually owe her $47 right now...the kid is going to have over $100 before we are done. I don't buy gifts for the kids for birthdays. We just give them $30 and they can do what they want with it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• At the younger ages my kids didn't get much money as gifts, it was always a toy or something. But what money they did get went into their bank account for college. Each kid got a lot of money for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah which is also in the bank. They were able to buy 1 expensive gift for themselves.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 2:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• yes, they're too young to keep it themselves. it will get used toward something they want or need though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• When ds was a baby yes. Now that he is older no the money is his.
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 2:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• The money that my son receives is his to spend but I encourage him to deposit a percentage of it into his savings account.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• No, it's their money. I may hold on to it until we get home but then it goes into their wallet.When they get too much cash I do have them put some in the bank. When they were little (under 5) Any money they got went right in their savings account. When they had their first communion I let them keep some and put the rest in savings. They usually have more cash than I do. (and I have borrowed it before, always pay it back)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• No it is their money but my two oldest love to save their money. My 9 year old ds just loves to spend it but hopefully my older ones will wear off on him. lol
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• NO! I have always put their money in their piggy bank or savings account. If the person wanted me to have the money, they would gift it to me. I feel it's my job to give them a party I can afford and they can use their money on a toy they choose from the store or save it to use on our vacation souviners. That's just how I do it.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2012

• No way, I dont steal my kids birthday money, its THEIRS. They save it for something they want.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2012