name changes please some advice

ok i have been married 5 years on sat and have never legally changed name, i am due in like 2 weeks and was going to go to ss office tom and legally change it, was thinking about hypenating myfirst,middle, mylast- hislast my drivers lisence is already in his last name, well what i was wondering is on babies birth certificate would i just put his last or both?? i really havent talked to him about this yet he is outta town and well i just got this in my head so wanted to throw it out before i talk to him. i dont think he will want hers to be hypenated...

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that is all up too you i would talk too him and see what he says but i know where i live the hole name thing comes down too what the birth mother wants
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 7:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I hyphenate my name so that my older kids and me have the same last name but I also have the same last name as my baby dd and dh. I gave my baby dd the same last name as her dad though. There was no reason for her to have more then one last name.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• That's up to you guys.
    I never took my husband's last name & our children have my last name.

We get some funny looks sometimes... and when my husband bought a car, I think the guys asked him like half a dozen times "... you're not REALLY married, are ya --- you just live together...?" hehehe.... but beyond that, nothing out of the ordinary.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It took me awhile to change my last name too. I had my baby before I changed my last name. My daughter had my last name for the first 3 days of life (while in hospital) and then when I signed the papers I made it so that she had her father's last name. It was kind of strange that my daughter had his last name before I did...but, it only took me until she was 2 months old to get it done. So, now we're all the same family name! :)
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009