Do your kids complain about dinner?

do you say anything or just ignore it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Every single time I make food. Every.single.time.

It depends on my mood. I know up front that as soon as I hand my 4 year old her plate she's gonna say "I don't like...." I know that they're all gonna focus on how horrible it is. So if I'm in a good mood, I just ignore them. If I'm grouchy, I give them a big lecture and glare at them. LOL
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'm not a short order line cook - this is what's for dinner, eat or don't; your choice...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Mine never complain. They will eat anything that doesn't eat the first.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• They whine all the time!

I look at it this way... They get what they like for breakfast, snack, and lunch...I get what I want at dinner. They know the way it is. I'm not a short-order cook and will not make 3 separate meals to accomodate them. I don't make them eat anything TERRIBLE...they're just picky eaters.

I don't make them finish their food before leaving the table but I do make them take a bite of it first.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Oh and ALL of my kids were awesome eaters until they were about 2-3. Then all of a sudden they just switched up and didn't like anything!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My kids are good eaters, and because we only have two I make sure to make things I know that they will eat. Occasionally they don't like something I make, but if they don't then they don't get their meal, or can have a few bites and their milk, and then go to bed. Breakfast will be in the morning.
    BeanIrene1

Answer by BeanIrene1 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I like the article on greensmoothiegirl.com-----her mom always gave them two choices--either eat it or go hungry:-) They were allowed ONE food they didn't have to eat....it is a good article. They will only whine and carry on if you allow it. Fix healthy meals and stop worrying about "pleasing them" with food they "like" which I bet isn't really healthy. Mac and Cheese is NOT a healthy choice:-) I love it but rarely eat it:-)
    Anonymous

• Every meal I cook my 8yo throws a fit and says she doesn't like it even if we just had it the week before. But she eats it or goes without. I don't even think she ate dinner tonight because her choices were sloppy joes (left over from 2 days ago) or pork chops (left over from last night) and she didn't want either. But she's always been able to go on just one meal a day. Not good for her since she only weighs 40lbs (she's 8, mind you) but whatever. I can't force her to eat and I refuse to prepare special meals just for her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my kids sometimes complain but hardly ever if they do i just tell them they wont get anything else to eat till breakfast then the usually eat it but if they dont eat it i leave it aside and when they say they are hungrey i tell then they can finish their dinner
    Allboys0003

Answer by Allboys0003 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• No, we have a rule that if you do not like what is cooked you can go make something different for yourself. For the most part though I make meals that the whole family likes. None of my kids are picky eaters.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2009