My son is 7 month old and i have a porblem feeding him. He refuses to eat if i feed him. He wants to do it himself if not he throws a fit. I do give him finger foods its only when i feed him his veggies or jar food thats runny and messy is when he wants to do it himself. I am not trying to be mean but i dont feel he is ready and he make way too much of a mess. do you think he is ready?

mami303

Asked by mami303 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No I don't think you are being mean my 8 month old is the same way and I wont let him my advice is to either get the BOON Squirt Food Dispenser (it's Orange)It's a spoon and the handle holds and dispenses the food. I love that thing or the Sassy Baby Food Nurser (it's a bottle that you fill uup with baby Food and they can then feed themselves) and ther is nothing wrong with putting baby food in a bottle (for anyone that might make a comment about this) I did it for my son and he could still eat from a spoon by the time he was 4 months sometimes it's just cleaner and convienent
    cristyanne

Answer by cristyanne at 9:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It sounds like your baby is ready to feed himself and is trying to tell you he wants to be independant. There are little "dip sticks" they sell at the store for babies to put in their food and suck on. If you give your baby one of these sticks while you are feeding him, then maybe he will feel like he is doing it on his own. I am sure it will make a mess, but that is what kids do and if you give him a small dish with a little bit of runny food in it for him to feed himself, I bet he won't refuse his feedings anymore. Good luck!!!
    hafaadaiak

Answer by hafaadaiak at 9:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I think you should let him feed himself. I'm saying this because when my 1st born, my son was about your son's age and up, I did everything for him. Now he's 5 and has a developmental delay with his fine motor skills. I'm not saying because I didn't let him feed himself he developed slow motor skills, but it may have something to do with it. I'm not sure. I just spoiled him the heck out of him and I did everything for him instead of letting him explore and do what babies like to do. But he is getting better with his motor skills. :--)

Let him make a mess. lol Just clean it up. Put newspaper/plastic on the floor around his highchair so it will be a fast and easy clean up. Do whatever it takes for your clean up to be easy for you. Since he enjoys feeding himself, why not let him? This is just a suggestion. I hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• What if you give him a spoon and maybe even a bowl but you still feed him. Maybe the spoon and bowl will occupy him.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My daughter is only five months and already tries to feed herself. I know shes going to make a mess but I make a mess just trying to feed her. I just let her take charge and just kind of guide the spoon in the right direction and she loves it. Plus shes building motor skills which is great.
    DPadilla1

Answer by DPadilla1 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• just drop an old sheet down on teh floor like a drop cloth and let him go for it. the mess should just shake out adn wash off. good luck.'
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• He is ready to change to table food, mine did it at the same age start out with really soft foods that have a little more texter to them.
    hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 11:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Babies are messy. Some more than others. My oldest has been a little slob since he was a baby. I used to use a plastic table cloth under his highchair and just wrap it all up and shake it in the trash when he was done. And straight to the tub for him! He should develop at the pace that's natural for him. A few months of cleaning up after an independent baby may mean less time having too spoon feed him. Not a bad trade off!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:40 AM on Jul. 19, 2008