For African American hair types, how do you take care of your hair?

I used to perm my hair every 6 weeks or so, but my scalp never took well to perms, to the point where now, my scalp is pretty weak. I can't let a perm set on my hair more than about 10 mins without burning, and then my scalp reacts with flakes, scabs, and all types of other tortures. So lately I have taken more to braids. I've done kinkies, micros and now I have cornrows. My actual hair looks like crap though. I know the micros were probably the worst thing, but my hair is thinning and it looks so unhealthy these days... What do you do to keep your hair strong and healthy? What are some good styles you keep your hair in that makes it least damaging? I hate that I have to keep up appearances with my hair (perms/braids), but now I'm starting to really pay for it. Help!

jadenember

Asked by jadenember at 8:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Just in case you don't get an answer here there is a really good group for AA hair types. You'll have to apply first though, it's private...
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/6746/
    CherBearCM

Answer by CherBearCM at 8:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Thanks Cher!! ♥ I'm applying now
    jadenember

Answer by jadenember at 8:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• omg the last time i got my hair braided it did a number on my hair :( plus i think hair just gets weaker in the winter and breaks off, on top of all the things we do to it, so i'm in the same boat you are. i'm trying to just stop using as much heat on my hair, and i switched to this olive oil brand of shampoos and deep conditioners.
    MeVinceandBaby

Answer by MeVinceandBaby at 8:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I don't really know for me the only time when my hair grows well is when I am pregnant, or when I wear a wig, or when its braid it. Right now its in braids and its growing great because I am keeping it conditioned, and taking good care of it. when ever I put heat on it or keep it straight it breaks. Let me know if you figure it out.
    misssy2000

Answer by misssy2000 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Amber, you need to do a 'fro! I've always said that if I were AA I'd rock the 'fro. I'll bet it's really good for your scalp!
    Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 11:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'm not AA but I have the same hair composition. I have to use products marketed specifically for African Americans hair. I had severe problems with my scalp becoming completely sensitive, my hair went to crap, was dull, broke off if you just looked at it and was falling out by the handful. I started using Profectiv Mega Growth.............did a fabulous job of strengthening my hair, and conditioning my scalp and the scent is just divine.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Thanks Pace! I'll check out that product
    jadenember

Answer by jadenember at 5:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009