otc meds

is it ok to take tylenol sinus congestion if i am breastfeeding?

michiganmommy11

Asked by michiganmommy11 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, just use as directed.
    Anonymous

• yes just take as indicated and remember that any decongestant will cause you to become dehydrated--so drink more water. I hope you feel better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Nope. sudafed is the only one that my dr. said is okay. Call your pedi and they will know what to suggest.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 8:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Ask the doctor or the pharmacist
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 8:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If it contains Pseudoephedrin, which I think the Sinus infers, it is registered as a C, L3 (L3 (moderately safe) C (risk cannot be ruled out) ). I would stay away from anything with Pseudoephedrin in it, those can actually dry you up. BTW Sudafed is used to 'dry' a mother up so please stay away from Sudafed (as well as any other pseudoephedrin).

Anonymous

• I just asked the pharmacist and he said it was ok with caution...it could make the baby jittery. I'm holding off and going to tough it out! Thanks for your help everyone.
    michiganmommy11

Answer by michiganmommy11 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• No, I would not use it. At least 1% of the medication you take passes into your breast milk. That sounds like a small number...but just think of how small your baby's body is. Babies bodies are not able to process the chemicals in cold medicines. According to my doctor Robitussin DM, with regularTylenol seperately, is the only cold medication they could recommend IF I really feel that I must take something. They actually recommend not to take anything at all. Colds usually last 7-14 days. If it is not resolved by then, it may be a bacterial problem (sinus) at which point you could be prescribed antibiotics. Nasal spray can also help as it does not contain medication. A humidifier might also comfort you a little as well.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2009