Anyone work in an "assisted living community"?

I know nothing about this, but today I went with a friend to visit someone. I'm wondering what the standards are as far as cleanliness of the rooms and patients.

As soon as we walked in this room it reeked of urine and feces. I couldn't tell if it was the room itself or the patient. But the carpet was filthy and there were stacks of trash on every surface. Old food. You name it, it actually made me sad. This patient couldn't walk or get up from her wheel chair so obviously she is not able to clean for herself. There were also random cans of Raid everywhere which means a roach problem. Tell me this isn't the norm for nursing homes. Do I report this? And to whom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Health

• You absolutely report it to two people, the RN on the unit and the RN manager or Director of Nursing depending on how big the facility is. Did you look in the trash?? Was there used "pull ups" in the trash??
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• The only thing I noticed in the trash was old food, and there was no bag in the trash can. There could have been used pull ups in there, though.
    Anonymous

• Thats probably what it is. I work in a nursing home and i've seen other aides just leave the soiled pull ups in the trash until the end of their shift.. that could be up to 8 hours! Thats is just disgusting. Your friend is still a person who deserves to live in a clean environment, after all she is paying for it! I would go report ASAP!! This sickens me. Even if it wasn't the pull ups in the trash- there IS a reason it smells so bad therefore the aide is responsible or the house cleaners!! Someone is NOT doing there job.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would call the state and find out who you need to report it too. I don't think going to the RN of the unit will help because I am sure other rooms are just like it if there is raid there is a roach problem in more than that room. I would go to someone that is not in the facility.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 8:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• That's what I was thinking. I'm sure they've seen the condition of that room, and no one's done anything about it. The mess had to have been piling up for awhile because it was not just clutter. It was unsanitary. I would rather report it to someone that doesn't work there.
    Anonymous

• Thats why I said to report it to the two people, RN thats in charge of the unit and the D.O.N. something will get taken care of and if it doesn't then you should call state.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i worked in one for 7 years and it NEVER smelled! we had to have those rooms clean and housekeeping vacuumed EVERY DAY and CLEANED!!! i would definitely report it!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I am a housekeeper in a nurseing home and we are suppose to make sure the rooms are cleaned even go back and check the rooms to make sure they are cleaned.
    cjray77

Answer by cjray77 at 6:53 AM on May. 18, 2009