when is it too early to potty train?

my son is 8 months old he walks trys to talk and trys to feed himself finger foods ( he thinks he's a grown man lol) but my friend was telling me that he satarted potty training his 3 kids at 6 months old. i thought it was odd and when he suggested i start potty training my son i turned down the idea without any thought. am i wrong to think its to early to PT.. any suggestions or thoughts on when i should start PT and how... thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah right! That is way toooooooo early. You don't start until they give you signs like taking off their diaper, telling you that they went pee or poop and feeling icky in the diaper.
    Anonymous

• too young in my book i cant even get my 2 yr old to sit on a pottyhow are u going to get an 8 month old to sit still? I would wait to PT boys are hard to potty train....wait until he starts showing signs....which wont be until around 18 months or so and sometimes alter....
    Anonymous

• Usually when they can stay dry through the night if a good indication. And they have a way of telling you they need to go. I think at 8 months it would be too early.
    I tried to put my 6 month old on the toilet once... (no diaper after his bath and he started pooping) he thought was crazy and kept trying to stand up! LOL
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• it's not too early as long as you buy lots and lots of carpet cleaner, enough to last a year or so =)
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• According to What to Expect the First Year and Supernanny, you should put a fresh diaper on before a nap. After the nap, check the diaper. If it is heavy, your child is not ready to potty train. If it is light, your child is ready to start potty training.  It takes quite a while for a baby's nervous systems to develop completely.  The internal sphincter of the urethra is controlled by the body and dilates when the bladder is stretched and signals the nervous system that it is ready to void. The external sphincter is controlled by a different branch of the nervous system that we can consciously control. Until this part of the nervous system is developed, children cannot control their external sphincter. The "nap-diaper test" can gauge for you if they've developed enough to attempt potty training. I could go into more specific names and details but you only get 1000 characters lol.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009