Are all pharmacies connected?

I don't mean like big chains being able too access info from their sister stores in the area or across the country. I mean can say Walgreens pharmacists access your info from say CVS? Or do you have to give the permission?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Health

• In most cases the pharmacy that you are transferring to can call your previous pharmacy and get a listing of your current medications. If you are only on a few medications I would suggest taking the current prescription bottles in with you to the new pharmacy, that way you can avoid any confusion when the pharmacist transfers the prescriptions.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 10:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• They can't
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 9:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i think they can, Ive had walmart pharmacy get my info. from food city pharmacy before.
    Anonymous

• I know a young lady who works at a pharmacy and they can check out your prescriptions on a national data base in order to stop those who are addicted and trying to fill such things at several different places.
    Anonymous

• In some states they can. Not in all.
    Anonymous

• Well, if you have repeatedly received narcotics that could be questionable then they do have a list that is past to the pharmacies in the area that is kind of a warning for them. Also, insurance companies audit their prescriptions also....if they see a client has been abusing a certain med then they will put a flag up letting the pharmacist know and send a letter to thier MD.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I was curious because I have used Walgreens for years and I plan on switching to Costco. Will they automatically know the meds I am on or have previously taken or do I have to tell them?
    Anonymous

• Thanks momof2il!
    Anonymous