Has anyone ever been to a trade school and used what you've learned in a career?

What is the career and how long were you in the trade school for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I went to a vocational school, and yes I did for about 6 years. I became a medical assistant and it took a year start to finish and cost wayyyyy less than going to a college that offers this program.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I went to school for electrology right out of high school. I went full time and was out in 4 months. It was an excellent return on the investment. I was able to make very good money working in a plastic surgeons office. The bad news is I hated the work. It was boring and slow and I had to calm people down before I could work...the money was worth it for a while, but when I moved back to Michigan and could barely book appointments and couldn't charge half what I was used to in the plastic surgeons office, it just wasn't worth it anymore.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I went to Specs Howard School of Broadcast Arts. My concentration was in television broadcasting, great field, awesome money, hard to get into. I was an 8 month program, and you basically get a two year degree. I said "basically" because some places won't recognize it as a two year degree, but most related to the industry did. After lots of freelance work and building up my portfolio I was actually hired at one of the biggest networks in NY, but by then I was already burned out.

4Girls1truLove

Answer by 4Girls1truLove at 10:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Yea usually going to a vocation school is alot better and alot cheaper. You get more personal attention and usually smaller classes. I got my Medical Coding and Billing Cert. But it seems that the businesses around here only want experience!
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 10:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I went to cosmetology school for nine or ten months full time (like 40hrs a week) and I did hair for nearly 17 years.
    groovegal

Answer by groovegal at 10:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Hello, I did Cosmetology,but never used the trade. I do my own work at home business now.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well I am a cna and I love it because I get to work at a homecare agency it great.I love working in home care because of the type of patients I work for very upscale .I love it .I work four days 12 hours each day it is in a pent house for both of my patients love it best job I could ever have.I treat them great and they do also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2009