What happens if child isn't picked up on time?

I've never taken my kids to daycare, so I don't know what the policy is if a child isn't picked up by closing. This is a military town and I know that Marines work crazy hours. I babysit for a friend who is a Marine. He's also a single parent. When I started sitting for him, the agreement was from 6am to 6pm. Since I took them on, he's averaged about one day a week where he's had to come in early and dropped them off at 5am. Lately, I get texts from him saying that the CO says no one is allowed to leave until further notice and he's not coming to pick them up until anywhere between 6:30pm and 7:30pm.

I just feel like I'm being taken advantage of. It makes me wonder how he would be forced to handle things if he had his kids in a standard daycare. Most of the ones around here don't open until 6:30am, though there are a couple that open at 6am. General closing time is 6pm. Obviously, they don't cater to special military hours which leads me to believe that HE would be given special consideration from the military because he wouldn't be able to drop the kids off early or pick them up late.

Anyone have any insight?

edit: Hibbingmom, my hubby and I are going to have a chat with him today.  Up until now, it's been flat rate per day. It was a verbal agreement. He said that he couldn't pay more than a certain amount because he just couldn't afford it and I was ok with that. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person who will bend over backwards to help someone and I often wind up with a broken back. I really feel taken advantage of. It started off with him saying he'd either a) give me some extra money for groceries or b) giving me groceries (I feed the kids 3 meals a day, plus he typically eats dinner with us) and he hasn't, so all the food comes out of my own pocket. Then he's pushed up the time that he drops them off because he wants to beat the traffic, so instead of 6 they typically get here sometime between 5:30 and 5:45. This past Thursday he asked if I needed anything and I told him that we needed milk because I had just emptied the last gallon and hubby wouldn't be getting paid until Saturday. Hubby then joked about him bringing over snacks like jello or pudding. Guess which one he brought. Then he said he was going to be starting school in a couple months and wanted to drop them off at 5am 3 days a week when that came. Now he wants to go ahead and bring them early those 3 days because he's got a PFT coming up that he needs to prepare for. I'm planning on telling him that I'm going to switch to an hourly rate.

My biggest thing is that I know that he obviously wouldn't be able to do this if his children were in formal daycare, and yet I feel as if I have to be accomodating because it is JOB. If he doens't have a choice in it, then I don't have a choice in it.

ncbirdie

Asked by ncbirdie at 10:56 AM on Feb. 27, 2012 in General Parenting

• Are you charging him extra for late pickup/early drop off? That's what they do here.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2012

• It really depends, some charge more for dropping off early, and some charge for picking up late. I know that the child care on the base here (and most air force bases) you pay a set amount for a certain # of hours. 15-20 hours a week is $100 or so for kids under 2, and anything more than 20 hours is almost $200 a week. Then if you show up late (after they are closing you get charged a certain amount, I think $10 for every 15 minutes, or something like that).
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2012

• You should re-do the contract. Figure out a median time and then say something like $1 for every 15 minutes afterwards.

And have an END time like 7 or 730 maybe that if he doesn't pick up by, you'll call the emergency contacts.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2012

• I think you should have some sort of agreement. You realize that he may have military obligations that he can not get out of but that does not mean that you should be inconvenienced for free. I am trying to remember but The penalty was stiff. I think it was $5. for every minute over 6pm (closing) and after 6:30 social services would be called. Twice and you were not allowed back. I think. There was no provision for early dropoffs. You need to have a chat.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2012

• PS after re-reading your posting it seems that you probably do NOT have a contract. You really should have him sign one.

You can also include things in their like a probationary period & also you get a 10 day cancellation notice and if no notice is give you're entitled to your wages, etc.

ABSOLUTELY though you need an after hours pay scale..... something like the $1 every 15 minutes over your agreed end time. And then after a CERTAIN time (730 or whatever) you call the emergency contacts to pick kiddo up
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2012

• My son's preschool charges $1 per minute if you are more than 5 minutes late. Sounds harsh, but I've never been late picking him up!!

Answer by missanc at 11:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2012

• My son's home daycare provider charges $1/minute for late pick up. In the 3 years he's been there I was only late once, by 5 minutes, and I called ahead and told her and she didn't charge anything. I think you should sit and talk with him about paying a little more now that he is coming earlier and picking up later. Just say you can't afford it anymore.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2012

• Our vented after 5 mins its 2.50 a min including the 5 mins. And we are calling you. If you do not pick up we call alternative ppl. After hour if no one comes depending on if we got contact by law we supposed to call police

It used to be $1 a min but ppl would come 10 mind late wallop the time. Even had someone say tilts only 10 bucks
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2012

• It's normal for daycares to charge late parents.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2012

• its $1.00 per minute if you are late on post here at fort bragg.
    NaiveDream

Answer by NaiveDream at 2:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2012