Hormones

I have been to a few doctors for check ups and told them I think something is wrong with my body. Before my husband I tried to pregnant with an ex-fiance but it never happened. People told me to write it off as a miracle but something just didn't add up. I have chin hair, depending on the alignment of the stars I am sometimes horny but most of the time dead, I feel bi-polar but the symptoms do not suggest bi-polar disorder, and I am having fertility issues.
After watching a show on Oprah about Menopause they went into a lengthy discussion on hormones. After 30 minutes of this education it just clicked in my head that it could be my hormones. But all my doctors have told me everything seems normal physically and refuse to listen to me.
So could it be my hormones? Should I push this subject?

Momma_Halo

Asked by Momma_Halo at 9:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Health

• I think that since you suspect this that you should bring it up. Surely physical exams would cover some basics such as thyroid and diabetes, but ask for further investigation or for referral to a specialist.

Answer by Bmat at 9:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Have you consulted with a Reproductive Endocrinologist? They will do workups to check your fertility, including hormone levels. They may also monitor one cycle to see if your levels are where they should be at key points during your cycle, such as day 3, ovulation, and day 21. If you haven't seen that type of doctor, I highly recommend it.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Would I need to be referred? Right now I have no insurance due to my husbands lay-off and I am currently looking for a job with decent insurance.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 9:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I should also mention all of this started by the time I was 15. And my periods have always been very irregular. I talked to one doctor and she just said everything looks physically well then went to another who was my OBGYN when I was pregnant and she only said "Well you are pregnant now". So I feel like no one is listening to me. I was always told it is best to get a referral from a doctor but I am still learning about this stuff.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 9:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If you're private pay, then you probably wouldn't need a referral. If the cost makes it out of reach until you get insurance, you might try checking boards such as www.ivfconnections.com for some suggestions on natural methods of boosting fertility and getting hormone levels back to where they should be. Making sure you are eating right, and getting the right vitamins and supplements can sometimes help. "Inconceivable" is one book that had some info.

Since the world of fertility clinics can get really expensive really fast, I suggest getting a job with insurance first so they can't deny future claims because of a pre-existing infertility diagnosis.....
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Thank you I will check those out right now.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 9:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It could hormonal, but have your thyroid checked as well.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My only concern about the Thyroid is usually that is linked with obese issues and since this has been going on since I was 15 and I was still a very tiny woman then... would that still be a thyroid issue? Oh well might as well get everything check when I finally go back lol.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 9:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If you feel it is your hormones, keep going until you get an answer. You know your body, so if you feel something still isn't right, keep getting it checked. I pushed for a year being told I didn't have cysts on my ovaries, until one burst and I ended up in the ER. Good luck!
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• The thyroid regulates your hormones and it packs a hell of a wallop.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/thyroid_problems/article_em.htm

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2009