engorged breast relief anyone????

first time mom here, i just had my precious baby girl on sat the 17th and decided to breastfeed. Now my breasts are HUGE!!!! they are very swollen n they hurt like h***!!! i need to relive the pain does anyone know how???? i really do feel as they might just POP!! lol ^_^ [no seriously] im in pain please help!!! also feeding my baby is harder ...wat do i do??? please help!!!!! need advice ASAP

kokopuffs

Asked by kokopuffs at 9:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Health

• If you have a breast pump, pump out a little to relieve the fullness and pain, then breastfeed as usual.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Hand suppress just enough milk to let your baby be able to latch on. It IS much more difficult for baby to latch on when everything is so tight.
    Keep some damp washcloths in the freezer. lay them across your breasts when the pain gets bad.
    When pain gets excruciating, hand suppress just enough to let the pressure off.

If you use a pump, do NOT completely empty yourself. that will just signal your body to make more milk.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You can take Ibuprofen, and it will help with the swelling.

When feeding, if you can, massage the underside of your breast a little. It will help all the milk flow and not cause mastitis (I think that's what its called)

And hang in there! It should only last about a week.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• thankx ladies i will try that...if u think of any more advice for me please come back to tellme!! ^_^
    kokopuffs

Answer by kokopuffs at 10:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• pump pump and pump some more! I saw a lactation nurse after having my daughter a few weeks ago and that's what she told me to do. She said to do it at least 8 times a day for 15 minutes. Use a warm wet cloth, lay it across your breasts to "loosen things up" then pump away.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Nooooo!! Please do not do what Gumby said. PLEASE!!! For your own comfortableness!! I made the mistake of doing that, and I pumped like crazy, I pumped until I had nothing left to pump...and all that does is signal your body to make more, because it assumes that the baby is eating that much and that it needs to keep producing more! Right now is when your body is over producing because it doesn't know how much TO make, but in approx. a week it will get used to the baby, realize (hey! I don't NEED all this extra milk!) and slow down production to match babies eating habits.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2009