how do i start a naptime routine? my daughter is 10 months old and she doesn't take naps in her crib, she has to be on my lap...so she doesn't get long nap either. help!!!

bluefrawg03

Asked by bluefrawg03 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess I would just start a "routine" maybe with a special naptime story and music. And then put her down in her crib. She might get mad about it at first but probably only a day or two.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You just do. She may not like it at first, but here is what worked best for me to give you an idea. We eat lunch at 11. At 1030am I will start telling Ari (2yo) that we have 30 min until lunchtime. I will count down every 10 min and then we eat lunch. During lunch I tell her that after lunch it is nap time. (I used to tell her that we will rock for just a little bit, and then I am going to put her in her bed so that she can take her nap). While we we rocking, or getting tucked in I would tell Ari all kinds of stuff that we are going to do after her nap. I would then tuck her in, kiss her, and tell her that I would see her after her nap. And then leave her room and close the door. It has worked great for me, I hope you find one that does for you too.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• it's a very hard thing to do as a mom... but we decided to put our son on a schedule, and make it so he could fall asleep on his own. They cry a lot and you feel horrible, but once they get used to it, it is well worth it. Remember crying does not hurt them.
    RenaJean

Answer by RenaJean at 11:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• does she wake up/ go to bed around the same time each day? are her meals served around the same time? if so- try putting her in her crib around the same time each day. give her a bottle or water to drink and some books and toys to play with. tell her she doesn't have to go to sleep, but she does need to play by herself in her crib for 30 minutes. even if she cries- keep her in her crib. feel free to go in and talk to her, just get her used to taking a break every day. eventually she should begin to wind down around break time and hopefully will start napping like a champ.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Make a schedule following what suits you best and the patterns you normally notice about her throughout the day. For example, if you notice she settles easily and gets drowsy around 11am and then again at 3pm, then make those her nap times. Prepare her for nap time by chattering about it to her when it gets close to nap times. Maybe it would help if you started out sitting in her room, letting her fall asleep on your lap and then laying her in her crib when she falls asleep? If she wakes up and cries, you can come in and let her know you're there but it's sleep time and then leave. She might cry but she's old enough to start learning to soothe herself and deal with not getting her way and adapt.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:21 PM on Jan. 19, 2009