What traveling tips do you have for a Mom with a 4 yr old, 3 yr old, and a baby on the way?

How do you grocery shop, go to the mall, go to vacation spots, etc., etc. with 2 toddlers and a baby? A double stroller and baby sling? A triple stroller? Are the stollers big enough for 2 toddlers that are VERY tall for their age? What's the best way to manuver about with this many little ones in tow?

Joy-Joy1975

Asked by Joy-Joy1975 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Travel

• I had a just turned five year old and a 2 year old when I gave birth to my daugther. I was in the same boat you're in. I put my two youngest into the stroller and the rule for my oldest is that he has to hold onto the stroller with one hand at all times. If he lets go, then he's in trouble. Both of your oldest can be taught street rules "never step off the sidewalk", "Hold onto the stroller and don't let go", etc... Time out is a good persuasion for my little ones. Getting out to the car was tough, but you'll figure it out too. I also found that the back seat of a double stroller, if it reclines enough can hold two! This can be fun if you make a game of it.
    And the number one thing to know!!
    (see below)
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 10:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• (sorry I ran out of room)
    Pretend, pretend, pretend. Make everything as fun as you can. Pretend the stroller is a boat and you're all going for a ride. When you're stuck in a waiting room, play the story game where you start a story and the kids add to it as you go. We've spun some amazing stories with their little imaginations. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere pretend pirates are chasing you and you have to hurry.
    Be as patient as the man in the yellow hat is with Curious George because things only get worse when you lose your cool with kids that age. LOL ;o)
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 10:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• grocery shoppping, you should look into the peapod from stop and shop.. i think they charge $5 for them to do the shopping and deliver it to you, but if you think about itt...the stress, the time shopping, loading and unloading, and the money for gas... its probably worth it!
    SydneysMommy125

Answer by SydneysMommy125 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Thanks for your advice ladies. ArtC - Did you have a side by side stroller or one that has one seat behind the other? If you had it to do again, do you think a 3 seat stroller would have worked for you better, even though you had a 5 year old? Do you think he would have ridden in the stroller, or thought it was too childish? I'm worried that my youngest toddler won't want to ride in a stroller because he's too much of a big boy...and then there's all that money on a double or triple stroller down the drain.

SydneysMommy125- The peapod thing sounds great...however, our budget is tight now...using this wonderful service may strap us even more....I'm not so sure it would be cost effective for us...especially since we live about 1/2 hour from the nearest grocery store.
    Joy-Joy1975

Answer by Joy-Joy1975 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• you can shop through my web portal at almost a thousand stores. Its free and you earn points for free stuff while you shop, You can go to drugstore.com from there and orders over $25.00 you get free shipping. I found the prices for toilet paper, paper towels, diapers actually most things are the same cost as wal-mart, and its delivered to your door. Wal-mart has a new service there also, you can shop online and have it delivered to your wal-mart to pick up. Lots of my preferred customers get 50 to 90$ worth of free stuff every month or so. If you want info let me know.

motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 8:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2008

• I only have 2, but the 6 month old rides in a backpack carrier and loves it, and my daughter (2) rides in the cart. I get groceries bi-weekly, and only have to go out for milk and bananas in between (or have my husband get them on the way home.) You could also do a monthly big grocery tip (with someone watching the older 2) and get most of your stuff, and then weekly or biweekly do a small trip, which wouldn't take as long so the kids might do better.
    energygirl

Answer by energygirl at 12:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• to add on to my other response, to do a bi-weekly or monthly trip, you almost need a bi-weekly meal chart. That way you have a master plan.
    energygirl

Answer by energygirl at 12:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2008