Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


My husband worked two different jobs in 2008. The first was a crappy job and the second he received much better income. We've received the w2 for the good job and have not yet for the other. Can we go ahead and file and not even bother with the first job or do we HAVE to include both w2s?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • You have to include both W2s

    Answer by ZaTa at 10:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • Wait for the W2 from the second job. They have until the end of the month to mail it out. It doesn't matter how crappy the job was. It's still reportable income.

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • you have to report both jobs but you can use his last pay stub for the W-2 you do not have yet.

    Answer by vbongard at 10:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • You can do like the previous post said and use the last pay stub for the W2 you don't have yet, and go ahead and file. When the W2 comes in if something on it is different you can file an amendment. I've had to do that before but more often than not the last W2 is just fine to use.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • But if you file for the amendment the I.R.S likes to check you out a little deeper,

    And i would just like them to say out of my bizz like most would.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • If you have the last pay stub from that job, you can get all the tax info off of that. If you absolutely cannot wait to file (I recommend waiting until you have everything), then file with an estimate of the income. You can always amend later (And no, amending a 1040 is not a huge red flag to the IRS. They have other things to watch for). If you file w/o it, the IRS will know b/c they receive copies of all W-2s and 1099s filed by the employer. They will typically send you a notice of income/tax change and request interest (possilby penalties) for the missing wages/withholding. W-2s are requried tobe mailed by Jan. 31, so you should have the other W-2 within the next 2 weeks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • You need to wait. A couple of week isn;t going to kill you. Filing an amendment can be expensive if you have someone help you with it, which I suggest. No matter how crappy, he still paid taxes to the irs with that job and you might get more never know. Just wait.

    Answer by momofsaee at 8:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • wait until the end of the month, because that is when they are due for the companies... after the 30th and you still don't have it... call the company.. you really should include both.. you may be loosing money instead.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:31 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.